What is the Easiest Spoken Language to Learn?

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
Hornbein
What is the easiest foreign language to learn?

It depends strongly on your native language. To mitigate this, I'm making the rule that the language has to be in a different language group than your native tongue. You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European language.

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

It depends strongly on your native language. To mitigate this, I'm making the rule that the language has to be in a different language group than your native tongue. You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European language.
That may be too restrictive. For English native speakers, maybe tell them, "You are forbidden to choose any Germanic language". Even about this, not everybody will agree.

Likes pinball1970
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Your rule would seem to rule out American's learning British "English", which I consider to be quite difficult. I mean, they get SO many things wrong. And don't even get me started on their pronunciation. :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes vela, Astronuc, DennisN and 1 other person
Algr
You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European language.
Yea, always dumping on perceived success. What difference does "easy" make if it is a language you can't do much with?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Pig Latin.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, BillTre, DaveE and 1 other person
BWV
Your rule would seem to rule out American's learning British "English"
Do they not know the difference between plurals and possessive in England?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
FORTRAN

• Haha
Likes jim mcnamara, BillTre, Astronuc and 2 others
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2022 Award
FORTRAN
In grad school I had a language requirement to fulfill.
Somehow I worked it so I could do that with computer language. 😀

• Wow
Likes dlgoff, pinball1970 and berkeman
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
In grad school I had a language requirement to fulfill.
I did too. It was not difficult:

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Si Señor!
Close enough. Next!

Likes Mondayman and BillTre
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Many native Malaysians can't speak Malaysian.
Is it Malaysian or Maylay?

pinball1970
Gold Member

It depends strongly on your native language. To mitigate this, I'm making the rule that the language has to be in a different language group than your native tongue. You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European...
I think the title and your post are two different things essentially. The title is an interesting question, "what is the easiest language to learn?" This should be for anyone in my view, so in terms of grammar, cases, vocabulary, phonetics.

The second part as @symbolipoint pointed out is a completely different scenario.
Would someone from France find Swahili easier than a Peruvian learning Welsh. How would you measure it?

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Think back, everyone, to the time you were learning your FIRST language. You did not previously speak or use *or read or write another. You were learning just your first language and maybe NONE others. How difficult or easy was this?

*Excuse me. The emphasis for this topic was made toward Speaking a language and that is the emphasis which should be kept.

pinball1970
Gold Member
Think back, everyone, to the time you were learning your FIRST language. You did not previously speak or use or read or write another. You were learning just your first language and maybe NONE others. How difficult or easy was this?
That's a long time ago but my memories tell me it was easy. I just remember speaking English.
I wish mathematics would have fell into my lap just like that, at 2.

Likes dlgoff and symbolipoint
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
FORTRAN
( One should not really give a comment like what I'll do here on a topic like this one, but...)

BASIC is (of the older style) easier, but then neither is a spoken language. They are written and graphical; that is how they are handled or communicated. Computer programming languages are not spoken human languages.

But then again, did mommy and daddy teach their child FORTRAN during his or her first four years of life? THAT would be interesting.

berkeman
Mentor
But then again, did mommy and daddy teach their child FORTRAN during his or her first four years of life? THAT would be interesting.
It's a whole new world, baby! :wink:

1667518137620.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...d=0CA4Q3YkBahcKEwi49teimpP7AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAw

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes dlgoff and BillTre

Suggested for: What is the Easiest Spoken Language to Learn?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views