Wrapping my head around holography

In summary: D photograph so...Do you have a link to a video of what ACTUALLY constitutes a hologram (I know Tupac's is a Pepper ghost and that is what the majority of video results are).There is no one answer to this question as it depends on the type of hologram being displayed. In general, however, a hologram is an image that appears to be three-dimensional. Some common types of holograms include lenticular, stereoscopic, and volumetric.Guess I don't feel so stupid that I confused the two.This is the first video I've found that seems to show a real hologram. It's pretty cool, but according
lookbehindu
Having trouble wrapping my head around holography after watching/reading a ton of stuff on the topic. What I think I have found to be true is that real holograms are 3D images captured onto film that are able to be viewed at any angle through the naked eye.
So the concept of a 3d image or video floating in midair is not really a hologram. Also what makes me confused is "The world as a hologram". I believe I get the basic concept of having all "data" about this world being stored somewhere outside the universe and us being a "projection" of that data but does that mean we are analogous to the film and the data which is stored "outside" is the original object which the laser shines on to create the hologram?

If anyone can provide me with helpful info that would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

lookbehindu said:
Having trouble wrapping my head around holography after watching/reading a ton of stuff on the topic. What I think I have found to be true is that real holograms are 3D images captured onto film that are able to be viewed at any angle through the naked eye.
Well... not any angle ... have you seen any holograms in real life?

So the concept of a 3d image or video floating in midair is not really a hologram.
Have you seen:
http://www.opticsinfobase.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-20-22-25130

Also what makes me confused is "The world as a hologram". I believe I get the basic concept of having all "data" about this world being stored somewhere outside the universe and us being a "projection" of that data but does that mean we are analogous to the film and the data which is stored "outside" is the original object which the laser shines on to create the hologram?
No.
You mean stuff like this:
http://beforeitsnews.com/space/2012/01/scientific-evidence-the-universe-is-a-holographic-projection-around-the-earth-1658888.html [Broken]
... it's an analogy. The pop science folks are trying to describe the granularity of space time as like a newspaper photograph only 3D ... and a hologram is a 3D photograph so...

Simon Bridge said:
Well... not any angle ... have you seen any holograms in real life?
well since its film definitely not ANY angle but that's like saying you can look at the Mona Lisa from behind... What I meant was you can view the static film from an angle that allows until you can't and the image will look dynamic so:

Code:

HOLOGRAM
    /      |       \
   /       |        \
  /        |         \
 /         |          \
/          |           \

Simon Bridge said:
I have to check that out when I have time to focus and take in all that information thanks.
Simon Bridge said:
No.
You mean stuff like this:
http://beforeitsnews.com/space/2012/01/scientific-evidence-the-universe-is-a-holographic-projection-around-the-earth-1658888.html
... it's an analogy. The pop science folks are trying to describe the granularity of space time as like a newspaper photograph only 3D ... and a hologram is a 3D photograph so...

Do you have a link to a video of what ACTUALLY constitutes a hologram (I know Tupac's is a Pepper ghost and that is what the majority of video results are). I think I just realized what I thought was a hologram is a lenticular print actually so now I'm thoroughly confused and genuinely have no clue.

http://www.world3d.com/lenticular-glossary/hologram.html [Broken]

Hologram – A 3D image that is created using lasers. Although they are often confused with lenticular (because both can display depth), they are really two very different products.

Guess I don't feel so stupid that I confused the two.

This is the first video I've found that seems to show a real hologram. It's pretty cool, but according to http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/hologram-7.gif the object is placed in the path of the laser (labeled object) to capture it on the film. How was it done in the architecture case? Was a scaled model placed where the label object is (It looked extremely detailed)? How are live holograms displayed? Is such a thing even possible?

Thanks

Simon Bridge said:

Thats not what they mean. A hologram has information about the entire image at every point. Its a 2D surface with information that can be projected to reconstruct the wavefront reflected off of a 3D object. When scientists say the universe could be a hologram, they mean that our perceived 3D space could be a projection of a 2D surface.

Think about it. A hologram reproduces the same wavefront of light that bounced off the original object. The light from a hologram behaves in every way as if it were in fact reflected by the original object. Since the Electromagnetic force is pretty much the only one that we perceive through our natural senses, it seems to me that I should be incapable of telling the difference between a "real" world and a holographic one if the EM wavefront that is perceived by my senses is the same. Not that the holographic universe would lack any forces that exist in the "real" world.

A hologram with larger area has finer image quality because of the reciprocal nature of diffraction, if you tear one in half you can still see the whole image but it gets fuzzier. If the universe is a hologram then its got to be really huge (duh.. its the universe), giving a resolution much much finer than an atom. From the "Before its News" article it sounds to me like they are detecting the "fuzz" due to the finite area of the universe, but it could be something else for all I know.

lookbehindu said:
does that mean we are analogous to the film and the data which is stored "outside" is the original object which the laser shines on to create the hologram?

We are the data that is stored on the film. Space is the hologram. Space doesn't exist but the data on the film does represent a bunch of interactions (the universe) that act as though they exist in space, except for the fuzzyness mentioned in that article i suppose.

Brian Greene does a nice job explaining holography in his newest book, "The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos" :)

Greg-ulate said:
Thats not what they mean. A hologram has information about the entire image at every point. Its a 2D surface with information that can be projected to reconstruct the wavefront reflected off of a 3D object. When scientists say the universe could be a hologram, they mean that our perceived 3D space could be a projection of a 2D surface.
You've got that backwards. Holographic interpretations require extra dimensions. It is a description of our 4D space in 5+ dimensions, where the special metric of the extra dimensions helps simplify some of the physics. Otherwise, the extra dimensions are redundant and carry no information about position of particles.

The most straightforward example I'm familiar with is the 5D Anti-De Sitter space (AdS5). When the extra dimension of AdS5 is truncated, you end up with some of the nice features of QCD right away, and you even get a basic mass ladder for fermion fields.

This is hardcore field theory, so I'm a little hazy on the details, but that's the gist of it. Holographic QM has almost nothing to do with classic holography, and you shouldn't be trying to understand it as an analogy.

K^2 said:
You've got that backwards. Holographic interpretations require extra dimensions. It is a description of our 4D space in 5+ dimensions, where the special metric of the extra dimensions helps simplify some of the physics. Otherwise, the extra dimensions are redundant and carry no information about position of particles.

The most straightforward example I'm familiar with is the 5D Anti-De Sitter space (AdS5). When the extra dimension of AdS5 is truncated, you end up with some of the nice features of QCD right away, and you even get a basic mass ladder for fermion fields.

This is hardcore field theory, so I'm a little hazy on the details, but that's the gist of it. Holographic QM has almost nothing to do with classic holography, and you shouldn't be trying to understand it as an analogy.

SO the concept of the world as a hologram does not derive from the concept of regular holograms? Also does anyone have another video depicting a hologram. The architecture video I found really fascinated me but I can't seem to find anything else.

lookbehindu said:
SO the concept of the world as a hologram does not derive from the concept of regular holograms?

No. It was inspired by black hole mechanics, where the entropy scales as the horizon area instead of volume, which inspired people like 't Hooft (1993) to conjure that it could be a more general aspect of nature, and it was given a firm fundament in the so-called AdS/CFT correspondence by Maldacena and Witten (1997/1998).

haushofer said:
No. It was inspired by black hole mechanics, where the entropy scales as the horizon area instead of volume, which inspired people like 't Hooft (1993) to conjure that it could be a more general aspect of nature, and it was given a firm fundament in the so-called AdS/CFT correspondence by Maldacena and Witten (1997/1998).

thank you for clearing that part up. Is there any other information on regular holograms and is it possible to have live holography where the audience is viewing the screen and the object is being interfered by the laser from behind? Is that how it works?

That's a classical physics question. You might get better replies asking in corresponding section.

Can a mod move it please. Thanks.

I have done and currently working on a Project of 3D holographic Projection and its interaction

In the presentation i have been asked to explain the HOLOGRAPHY & Optical physics used in this project. Can anyone go through it and explain me the Phenomenon of holography happening over here? URGENT

For reference I have given below the project report and the working video.

My Project Report-
http://tartle.info/6512bd43d9caa6e02c990b0a82652dca0/11drdo-3d-holographic-projection.html [Broken]

3D holographic Projection Video (My Project)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHt2DZ6jrk&feature=youtu.be

Software for playing 3D holographic Game(The software i used)-

@7503866121:
Welcome to PF;
I imagine you are expected to do your own research for your presentation, if we just explain it to you, then we will be doing the work and so defeat the purpose of the exercise.

There are plenty of resources on the different kinds of holography online. Have a read through some of them and tell us where you get stuck. We can help you understand them better.

Have fun.

The above has nothing to do with holography.

Oh sure but let's cut the newcomer some slack - it's an easy mistake to make considering the title and nobody has said it in so many words before now. Shall we advise 7503866121 to start a new thread as well perhaps? Probably best!

1. What is holography?

Holography is a technique that uses light diffraction to create a three-dimensional image of an object. It involves the use of lasers, mirrors, and photographic plates to capture and display the image in a way that appears to be three-dimensional.

2. How does holography work?

Holography works by splitting a laser beam into two separate beams, one that is directed onto the object being imaged and one that is directed onto a photographic plate. The light reflected off the object interferes with the reference beam on the photographic plate, creating a pattern of light and dark areas that is recorded as an interference pattern. When the plate is developed, the resulting hologram can be viewed with a laser to produce a three-dimensional image of the object.

3. What are the applications of holography?

Holography has a wide range of applications, including security features on credit cards and passports, art and entertainment, medical imaging, and data storage. It is also used in research and development for analyzing and visualizing complex data sets.

4. What are the advantages of holography over traditional photography?

Holography offers several advantages over traditional photography, including the ability to capture and display three-dimensional images, the potential for high-resolution and realistic images, and the ability to view the image from different angles without the need for special glasses or equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to holography?

One limitation of holography is that it can be a complex and expensive process, requiring specialized equipment and materials. Additionally, holograms can be challenging to reproduce or duplicate, making them less practical for everyday use. However, advancements in technology have made holography more accessible and affordable in recent years.