Real-World question i can't get my head around.

• Thread starter JoshMaths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, there are 16 rectangular pieces of paper with length 2 and width 1 that need to be organized in either a big square or the smallest possible area, with all pages being vertical. The total area will be 32, which is not a perfect square, so rectangles of various shapes can be made. One possible arrangement is 3 vertical and 6 horizontal, creating a 6x6 pattern with 4 empty spots.
JoshMaths
I am going to feel silly when you guys give me the answer in 2 seconds but here we go.

Imagine there are 16 rectangular pieces of paper with length 2 and width 1.

You want to organise them in a big square or make them fit the smallest area possible.

How many columns do you have and how many rows?

If you need a pitiful attempt then i would say...
Let x be the total length and y be the total width then x=2y and r*c = 16 where r = rows and c = columns and we want to find min xy = min 3y2

given x = 2r and y = c then 3y2 = 32 yet this minima gives y = 0 obviously, so i am stuck.

Yes i know this is year 8 maths, yes i am in University, any help much appreciative.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No matter how you arrange them the area will be 32. Since 32 is not a perfect square you can't make a square. You can make rectangles of any shape (1 x 16, 2 x 8, 4 x 4) where either direction can be all 1's or all 2's. It is also possible to mix 1's and 2's.

Thanks, one constraint i might have forgot to mention is that all the pages must be vertical so you can read them.

mathman's solution can be done with vertical pages. Another nice arrangement could be 3 vertical, 6 horizontal. It requires 36 tiles instead of 32, but it gives a nice 6x6-pattern (with 4 empty spots) - the smallest possible square.

I can understand how this problem may seem challenging at first. However, it is important to approach it systematically and logically.

First, let's consider the dimensions of the square that we want to make with the 16 rectangular pieces of paper. Since each piece has a length of 2 and a width of 1, the total length of the square would be 2*4=8 and the total width would be 1*4=4.

Next, we need to determine the number of rows and columns that would give us the smallest area for this square. We can use the formula A=l*w to calculate the area, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

Since we want to minimize the area, we can set up the following equation: A=8r*4c=32rc.

We also know that there are 16 rectangular pieces, so we can set up another equation: r*c=16.

Now, we can substitute the value of r*c from the second equation into the first equation to get: A=32(16)=512.

To minimize the area, we need to find the factors of 512 that give us the smallest value. The factors of 512 are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, and 512.

Since we want the smallest value, we can start by trying the smallest factors, which are 1 and 2. When we plug in these values for r and c, we get A=32(1)(2)=64. This is the smallest possible value for the area, which means that we need to have 1 row and 2 columns to make the smallest square with the 16 rectangular pieces of paper.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the solution to this problem. Don't feel silly for not immediately knowing the answer, as it takes practice and logical thinking to solve mathematical problems. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is a real-world question?

A real-world question is a question that pertains to a situation or problem that exists in the physical world. It can be answered through observation, experimentation, and data analysis.

2. How do I come up with a real-world question?

To come up with a real-world question, you can start by observing your surroundings and identifying any problems or phenomena that interest you. You can also read articles or watch documentaries to spark your curiosity about a particular topic.

3. Why is it important to have a real-world question?

Having a real-world question is important because it allows you to apply scientific principles and methods to gain a better understanding of the world around you. It also helps you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How do I turn a real-world question into a scientific experiment?

To turn a real-world question into a scientific experiment, you will need to develop a hypothesis, design an experiment to test your hypothesis, and collect data to analyze and draw conclusions from.

5. What are some examples of real-world questions?

Some examples of real-world questions include: How does pollution affect the growth of plants? What is the most effective way to reduce food waste? How does exercise impact mental health? Can music improve productivity in the workplace?