Real-World question i can't get my head around.

• Thread starter JoshMaths
  • Start date
I am going to feel silly when you guys give me the answer in 2 seconds but here we go.

Imagine there are 16 rectangular pieces of paper with length 2 and width 1.

You want to organise them in a big square or make them fit the smallest area possible.

How many columns do you have and how many rows?

If you need a pitiful attempt then i would say....
Let x be the total length and y be the total width then x=2y and r*c = 16 where r = rows and c = columns and we want to find min xy = min 3y2

given x = 2r and y = c then 3y2 = 32 yet this minima gives y = 0 obviously, so i am stuck.

Yes i know this is year 8 maths, yes i am in University, any help much appreciative.

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
No matter how you arrange them the area will be 32. Since 32 is not a perfect square you can't make a square. You can make rectangles of any shape (1 x 16, 2 x 8, 4 x 4) where either direction can be all 1's or all 2's. It is also possible to mix 1's and 2's.

Thanks, one constraint i might have forgot to mention is that all the pages must be vertical so you can read them.

mathman's solution can be done with vertical pages. Another nice arrangement could be 3 vertical, 6 horizontal. It requires 36 tiles instead of 32, but it gives a nice 6x6-pattern (with 4 empty spots) - the smallest possible square.