1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't get my head around reduced mass (particle physics)

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    • User informed about mandatory use of homework template.
    I know it's probably simple but I just don't understand reduced mass.

I am trying to work out the reduced mass of 4He+.

m = memN / me + mN

Can somebody please just explain step by step what I do. This is only a segment of a 1 mark question and I'm getting my knickers in a frustratingly twisty twist. I've looked at the other threads and websites but still no clue.

The answer needs to be 3.99... but I always end up with 0.99...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Normally you would need to expand more than that on your attempted solution, but I have a suspicion.

What are the units you are quoting your answers in? Atomic mass units? In that case, did you insert the mass of one nucleon instead of that of a helium nucleus?

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3
    Hi Orodruin

I'll give you the full question to give a better understanding-

Calculate the wavelength of the n = 4 → 3 transition in 4He+ to an accuracy of 4 significant figures. (R∞=109 737 cm-1.) (Fine structure effects can be neglected.)

Now the equation that I'd use for this is:

[itex] \frac{1}{λ} = \frac{m}{m_e} R_∞ (\frac{1}{n_1^2} - \frac{1}{n_2^2})[/itex]

Where λ is wavelength, m is the reduced mass, and [itex]R_∞[/itex] is Rydberg constant.

So I know the answer for the wavelength is 468.7 nm (I looked), and working backwards to try make sense of reduced mass I got m = 3.99.

I tried it in SI units using the mass in kg of an electron + 2 protons + 2 neutrons but it still didn't help.

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook