1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write the inner product of the state vector in a atom orbital

1. Jul 28, 2013 #1
    Consider 2 atomic orbitals with wave function a: σ(r), b: μ(r) in a diatomic molecules. σ(r) (or μ(r)) is localized around an atom a (or b) and is relevant for the discussion of the molecular orbital. These orbitals are orthogonal and normalised. The creation operators are x, y and vacuum, |0>.

a ) A wave function for the orbital on each atom is represented by the creation operator. Using the bra vector <r| write σ(r), μ(r) in the inner product of the state vectors.

b) Let ε^a (or ε^b) be the energy of a: σ(r), b: μ(r) respectively and V = <0|xHy|0> be a real matrix element. Obtain the energy eigen values in this Linear combination of atomic orbitals approach.

These questions are from a sample exam papers of my course and I tried solving them but I am not sure of my answer so I decided to post it here so I can get some feedback and cross-check my solution. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please post your solution here (and use the homework template), otherwise you cannot get feedback on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted