Write with at least one less abs value symbol

In summary: Oh! |x| = -x. So then if x≤0, then |x|=x, so the inequality becomes |a+b| - |a| - |b| ≤ 0. So that would mean that I can remove the outermost signs. So then I suppose it means that |a+b| -|a| - |b| ≤ 0That should still allow you to remove one pair of | | symbols.Yes, you are correct!So now I just need to show that:|a+b| - |a| - |b| = 0I think I can show this is true
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Here we go. Write the following with at least one less absolute value symbol:

(ii) |(|a+b| - |a| - |b|)|

(iii) |(|a + b| + |c| - |a + b + c|)|

(iv) |x2 - 2xy + y2|

Homework Equations

12 Properties of Numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's just look at (ii) for now since I am getting all flustered with it:

|(|a+b| - |a| - |b|)|

There are 2 potential abs value symbols that could be dealt with:

1) I could try to show that the quantity |a+b| - |a| - |b| ≥ 0 and the outermost symbols could be dropped.

OR

2) Try to show that -|a|-|b| = -|a+b| and re-write the original expression as |(|a+b| - |a + b|)|

Either way is a pain. It seems like there are so many 'cases' to test. Am I correct in saying that I would need to test all of the following cases?

I. a = b > 0
II. 0 < b < a
III. 0 < a < b
IV. a < 0 < b where |a| < |b|
V. b < 0 < a where |b| < |a|
VI. a < 0 < b where |b| < |a|
VII. b < 0 < a where |a| < |b|
VIII. a = b = 0
IX. a = b < 0

Am I overkilling here? Are any of these equivalent? I am thinking "no" because its subtraction involved ...

:mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

Here we go. Write the following with at least one less absolute value symbol:

(ii) |(|a+b| - |a| - |b|)|

(iii) |(|a + b| + |c| - |a + b + c|)|

(iv) |x2 - 2xy + y2|

Homework Equations

12 Properties of Numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's just look at (ii) for now since I am getting all flustered with it:

|(|a+b| - |a| - |b|)|

There are 2 potential abs value symbols that could be dealt with:

1) I could try to show that the quantity |a+b| - |a| - |b| ≥ 0 and the outermost symbols could be dropped.

OR

2) Try to show that -|a|-|b| = -|a+b| and re-write the original expression as |(|a+b| - |a + b|)|

Either way is a pain. It seems like there are so many 'cases' to test. Am I correct in saying that I would need to test all of the following cases?

I. a = b > 0
II. 0 < b < a
III. 0 < a < b
IV. a < 0 < b where |a| < |b|
V. b < 0 < a where |b| < |a|
VI. a < 0 < b where |b| < |a|
VII. b < 0 < a where |a| < |b|
VIII. a = b = 0
IX. a = b < 0

Am I overkilling here? Are any of these equivalent? I am thinking "no" because its subtraction involved ...

:mad:
For (ii) What does the triangle inequality tell you about how |a+b| and |a|+|b| are related?

For (iv) Factor x2 - 2xy + y2 .

SammyS said:
For (ii) What does the triangle inequality tell you about how |a+b| and |a|+|b| are related?

For (iv) Factor x2 - 2xy + y2 .

From the triangle inequality: |a+b| ≥ |a| + |b| → |a+b| -|a| - |b| ≥ 0 ... jeesh...nice catch SammyS!

EDIT: oof! that's backwards! Now I'm screwed. I need sleep. Back in morning!

For (iv)

I see that it is |(x+y)(x-y)| but I am not sure what to do with that? Again there are many cases to test, right?

I was originally thinking that since x2 and y2 are always > 0, then I would want to try to show that: x2 + y2 ≥ 2xy for all x,y.

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
From the triangle inequality: |a+b| ≥ |a| + |b| → |a+b| -|a| - |b| ≥ 0 ... jeesh...nice catch SammyS!

EDIT: oof! that's backwards! Now I'm screwed. I need sleep. Back in morning!
Then I suppose it means that
|a+b| -|a| - |b| ≤ 0​
That should still allow you to remove one pair of | | symbols.
For (iv)

I see that it is |(x+y)(x-y)| but I am not sure what to do with that? Again there are many cases to test, right?

I was originally thinking that since x2 and y2 are always > 0, then I would want to try to show that: x2 + y2 ≥ 2xy for all x,y.
Not quite right!
(x+y)(x-y) = x2 - y2

Try again.

For (iii): Try the triangle inequality here too.

So I have come back to this one finally: I am still unsure if part (ii) ... I think I am missing the obvious.

(ii) ##|(|a+b| - |a| - |b|)|##

From the triangle inequality I have that ##|a+b|\le|a|+|b|\implies |a+b| - |a| - |b|\le 0## so for sure I cannot remove the outer most abs value signs. This means that I am looking at removing (at least) one of the inner sets. As a guess, I am choosing to remove the signs around ##|a+b|## which means that I need to show that for any values a,b, that ##|a+b| - |a| - |b| = a+b - |a| - |b|.##

But I don't know if this is correct. I am pretty sure it is not.

Saladsamurai said:
So I have come back to this one finally: I am still unsure if part (ii) ... I think I am missing the obvious.

From the triangle inequality I have that ##|a+b|\le|a|+|b|\implies |a+b| - |a| - |b|\le 0## so for sure I cannot remove the outer most abs value signs

Are you really sure? What is ##|x|## if ##x\le 0##?

LCKurtz said:

I'm sorry LCKurtz, I don't think I understand what you're asking? |x|=-x if x≤0. But what is your point :redface:?

Saladsamurai said:

From the triangle inequality I have that ##|a+b|\le|a|+|b|\implies |a+b| - |a| - |b|\le 0##

LCKurtz said:

Saladsamurai said:
I'm sorry LCKurtz, I don't think I understand what you're asking? |x|=-x if x≤0. But what is your point :redface:?

Think about what you said above which I colored red. What if that is x?

LCKurtz said:
Think about what you said above which I colored red. What if that is x?

Hi LKCurtz! I don't think I had enough foresight to realize that I could remove an abs value sign and rearrange the expression :redface:. How about this?

##|(|a+b|-|a|-|b|)|=|b|+|a|-|a+b|##

Saladsamurai said:
Hi LKCurtz! I don't think I had enough foresight to realize that I could remove an abs value sign and rearrange the expression :redface:. How about this?

##|(|a+b|-|a|-|b|)|=|b|+|a|-|a+b|##

Yes. That's the idea.

Just to finish up:

(iii) ##|(|a + b| + |c| - |a + b + c|)| = |a + b| + |c| - |a + b + c|##

since ##|a + b + c| \le |a + b| + |c|## by triangle inequality.

and
(iv) ##|x^2 - 2xy +y^2| =x^2 - 2xy +y^2. ##

Since, ##x^2 - 2xy +y^2 = (x-y)^2 \ge 0 \text{ for all x.} ##

Yes. Those look good !

1. What does it mean to "write with at least one less abs value symbol?"

Writing with at least one less absolute value symbol means to express a mathematical or numerical expression without using the absolute value function, which is represented by a pair of vertical bars (| |). For example, instead of writing |x|, you would write either x or -x, depending on the context.

2. Why would I want to write with at least one less abs value symbol?

Using absolute value symbols can often make mathematical expressions more complicated and difficult to simplify. Writing with one less abs value symbol can help to simplify the expression and make it easier to understand and work with.

3. What are some common alternatives to using absolute value symbols?

Some common alternatives to using absolute value symbols include using the sign function (sgn), using piecewise functions, or using the square root function. These alternatives can help to convey the same information as absolute value symbols in a different way.

4. Are there any situations where it is necessary to use absolute value symbols?

Yes, there are certain situations where using absolute value symbols is necessary. For example, when solving equations involving inequalities, absolute value symbols may be needed to represent all possible solutions. Additionally, absolute value symbols may be used to represent the distance between two points on a number line.

5. How can I determine when it is appropriate to use absolute value symbols in my writing?

The use of absolute value symbols often depends on the context of the problem or equation. You should consider whether the absolute value function is necessary to accurately represent the mathematical relationship or if an alternative method may be more appropriate. It is also important to follow any specific instructions or guidelines given by your teacher or textbook when writing mathematical expressions.