Writing a PhD research proposal: AdS/CFT

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is unsure about how to write a research proposal for their PhD application in theoretical physics. They mention their interest in using geometrical applications in quantum field theory and their background in string theory, supersymmetry, and advanced relativity. They also ask for suggestions on literature related to anti-de Sitter/conformal field theory and its connection to M2-branes. The other person in the conversation advises them to clarify if a research proposal is actually required and suggests contacting the admissions tutor for clarification. They also mention that a first-year PhD student is not expected to have a detailed research proposal and offer to help the student in any way they can.
as3906
I am trying to write a research proposal and hav no idea where to start
I'm doing a Masters in Theoretical Physics and want to do a PhD involving such Geometrical Applications to QFT.
But the last sentence, besides personal background and a relatively naive version of why I'm interested is all I have. Any suggestions at all? Do I read a few journals and come up with suggestions, tho I have only started my String Theory/Supersymmetry/Advanced Relativity Courses this term, so the journals are doubly hard to follow---eep! help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In which country?
I've never heard of student having to write a proposal before, this is usually done by the thesis advisor or whoever is managing the project.

Thanks for the reply!
In england-I'm writing to Dr James Sparks at Oxford, and that's pretty much the response I've gotten from most people---but it's distinctly stated that a research proposal is required :S

I'm new to Physics Forums, and so you may have already got this:
Thanks for the reply!
In England, I'm applying to Dr James Sparks at Oxford, and indeed that has been the reponse I've gotten from so many.
But unfortunately the DPhill Theoretical Physics application sclearly states the requirement of research proposal.
Any suggestions of literature on Anti-de Sitter/Conformal Field Theory and its connection with M2-branes and such related matters that might help?

Are you totally sure that the application states that you must write a research proposal? I've not heard that this is the norm-- usually a "research interests" type part of a PhD application is really just a place to write what you've specifically been interested in from your courses or work that you've done in your dissertation or equivalent. Have you contacted the admissions tutor of the department you're applying to and asked for clarification?

cristo said:
Are you totally sure that the application states that you must write a research proposal? I've not heard that this is the norm-- usually a "research interests" type part of a PhD application is really just a place to write what you've specifically been interested in from your courses or work that you've done in your dissertation or equivalent. Have you contacted the admissions tutor of the department you're applying to and asked for clarification?

I agree with cristo. Find out before worrying too much about it. Research proposals are formal and you're unlikely to be even close to qualified to write one properly (afterall, the first year of a PhD is reading so that you can try to understand your place in the field). If it does state research proposal, then I imagine it will be what cristo suggests - a 'research interests' - more of a 'what do you want to do?' than a detailed plan.

Yeah, I think you're right-I do have a tendency to assume so much more is expected than what actually is.
Indeed, I've been told that the idea of even a first year PhD student coming up with a rough draft of a contents page has only recently been introduced, and is dismissed by most.
Thank you so much guys--you've really, really appreciated! I hope I could return the favour someday---You've turned what was going to be a truly agonising week around.

*I really, really appreciate it--:S

And thanks Cristo for the guidelines--I'll get better soon I promise!

1. What is the purpose of a PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT?

A PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT serves as a roadmap for your research project. It outlines the research question, objectives, and methodology that you will use to investigate the AdS/CFT topic of your choice.

2. How long should a PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT be?

The length of a PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT can vary, but it is typically between 10-15 pages. This allows you to provide enough detail to demonstrate the significance and feasibility of your research project.

3. What should be included in a PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT?

A PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT should include a clear research question, a brief literature review, a description of the methodology and data analysis techniques, a timeline for completion, and a list of references. It should also demonstrate your knowledge of the AdS/CFT field and your ability to contribute to it.

4. How do I choose a research question for my PhD proposal in AdS/CFT?

Choosing a research question for your PhD proposal in AdS/CFT can be challenging, but it should be a topic that you are passionate about and that has not been extensively researched. It should also be relevant to the current state of the AdS/CFT field and contribute to its advancement.

5. How can I ensure that my PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT is successful?

To ensure the success of your PhD research proposal for AdS/CFT, it is important to thoroughly research your topic and have a clear understanding of the current state of the field. You should also seek feedback from your advisor and peers, and be open to making revisions based on their suggestions. Lastly, ensure that your proposal is well-written, organized, and free of errors.