Writing PDEs as differential equations on Hilbert space

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on control of the 1-D heat equation with boundary control and the equation for the heat equation with boundary conditions. The authors then write the equation as v(t)=Av(t)+\delta_1(x)w(t), where A is the double differential operator and v(t) is the state with L_2(0,1) being the state space. The conversation also mentions a typo that was fixed.
agahlawa
Hi,

I was reading a paper on control of the 1-D heat equation with boundary control, the equation being
[itex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial x}[/itex]= [itex] \frac{\partial^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2} [/itex] with boundary conditions:

[itex] u(0,t)=0[/itex] and [itex] u_x(1,t)=w(t)[/itex], where [itex] w(t)[/itex] is the control input.

The authors then proceed to write the equation as:

[itex] v(t)=Av(t)+\delta_1(x)w(t) [/itex] where [itex] A [/itex] is the double differential operator, [itex] v(t)=u(\cdot,t) [/itex] is the state with [itex] L_2(0,1) [/itex] being the state space and [itex] \delta_1[/itex] being the dirac delta distribution centered at [itex] x=1 [/itex].

I understand the idea behind putting [itex] A [/itex] but I do not understand how the two equations are same.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will be following this thread. :smile:

agahlawa said:
Hi,

[itex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial x}[/itex]= [itex] \frac{\partial^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2} [/itex]
Thanks.

For a diffusion equation, the first derivative is wrt to time.
[tex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2} [/tex]

agahlawa said:
Hi,

I was reading a paper on control of the 1-D heat equation with boundary control, the equation being
[itex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t}[/itex]= [itex] \frac{\partial^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2} [/itex] with boundary conditions:

[itex] u(0,t)=0[/itex] and [itex] u_x(1,t)=w(t)[/itex], where [itex] w(t)[/itex] is the control input.

The authors then proceed to write the equation as:

[itex] v(t)=Av(t)+\delta_1(x)w(t) [/itex] where [itex] A [/itex] is the double differential operator, [itex] v(t)=u(\cdot,t) [/itex] is the state with [itex] L_2(0,1) [/itex] being the state space and [itex] \delta_1[/itex] being the dirac delta distribution centered at [itex] x=1 [/itex].

I understand the idea behind putting [itex] A [/itex] but I do not understand how the two equations are same.

Thanks.

Sorry, was a typo. Fixed. Thank you.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a system changes over time or in response to different variables.

2. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that represents an infinite-dimensional vector space with a defined inner product. It is used to study functions and operators in mathematics and physics.

3. How do you write a PDE as a differential equation on Hilbert space?

To write a PDE as a differential equation on Hilbert space, you first need to identify the dependent and independent variables in the equation. Then, you can rewrite the equation in terms of these variables and their derivatives, using the appropriate operators and functions in Hilbert space.

4. What are some applications of writing PDEs as differential equations on Hilbert space?

Writing PDEs as differential equations on Hilbert space can be useful in many fields, such as quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It allows for a more rigorous and precise analysis of these systems, leading to better understanding and prediction of their behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using Hilbert space in writing PDEs?

While Hilbert space is a powerful tool for writing PDEs, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be applicable to certain systems with non-linear or time-dependent behavior. Additionally, it may be challenging to find solutions to PDEs written on Hilbert space, as it requires advanced mathematical techniques.