1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing recommendation letters

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    Do professors always wish to write recommendation letters for bright students they personally know very well?

Is it quite often done to build up a good profile of the professor in the admissions committee of the university the student applies to?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Professors will typically be happy to write letters of recommendation for a student they think will do well at a given university- it is a standard part of the job. I don't understand what you mean by "build up a good profile of the professor in the admissions committee". I can't imagine why a professor would worry about such a thing.

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3
    I don't know either, but I've seen professors expressing desire to write letters of recommendations for some of my extremely bright classmates?

5. Jan 9, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I have done that a few times. I think it is a way of encouraging students to continue with their studies and letting them know they can go far. Students can also be shy and feel uncomfortable with the idea of soliciting a letter of recommendation, so it is a way to let them know that I will gladly do it should they need one.

6. Jan 9, 2016 #5
    Isn't writing recommendation letters a totally selfless act? All the professor gets is perhaps a thank-you note from the student.

7. Jan 9, 2016 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And seldom that!

8. Jan 9, 2016 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is a way of giving back to the community what you once were offered by other professors. Professors have been students in need of recommendation letters too.

9. Jan 9, 2016 #8
    Is it true that recommendation letters of different professors are weighted differently in the eyes of the admissions committee?

Is a letter by a professor from a top-10 university in the world going to be valued in the same light as a letter by a professor from a top-500 university?

10. Jan 9, 2016 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Of course. How could it possibly be otherwise.

Doesn't that depend on what the letter says?

11. Jan 9, 2016 #10
    Oh! So, you mean that the value of a letter comes from what the letter say, i.e. recommendation letter is a dialogue between experienced academics, so only an academic of sufficiently high caliber will be able to write a letter of value?

12. Jan 9, 2016 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course it depends on what the letter says. If it says "Do NOT hire!" your chances will be non-existing.

13. Jan 9, 2016 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Did I say "it depends on what they letter says" or did I say "it depends on who writes it"?

14. Jan 10, 2016 #13
    You said 'it depends on what the letter says.'

15. Jan 10, 2016 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And there's your answer.

16. Jan 10, 2016 #15

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Having recommendations from well known people helps because the recommender likely knows people on the admissions committee which gives them more insight into the letter. For example, you may have a recommender who gives praise sparingly, so if people know this professor and they write a good letter it gives it extra weight.

17. Jan 11, 2016 #16

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know what Vanadium 50 meant, but when I write a letter for a student I try to include specifics- for example, a good letter will not just say "student X is in the top 10% of students", but include the justification for this ranking- "I had student X in 3 classes, student X worked in my lab for 2 semesters, I witnessed student X give scientific presentations to peers, ..." and I also like to enunciate specific qualities of student X that I think demonstrate fitness for grad school or a job- working independently (with examples), oral and written communication skills (with examples), etc. etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook