1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing this series as a hypergeometric series

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write [tex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{9^k (\frac{2}{3})_k} \frac{w^{3k}}{k!}[/tex] in terms of the Gauss hypergeometric series of the form [itex]_2 F_1(a,b;c;z)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

The Gauss hypergeometric series is http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5992/gauss.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

It's nearly a series of that form if I put [itex]z=w^3[/itex] and [itex]k=n[/itex] but how do I get the [itex]9^{-k} = 3^{-k}3^{-k}[/itex] factors in terms of shifted factorials (that is if I need to)?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2
    That term does not go into the factorials, it goes into z^n.

4. Apr 5, 2012 #3
    Ah of course. So if I put [itex]z=\frac{w^3}{9}[/itex] then the series can be written as [itex]_2 F_1 (a,b ; \frac{2}{3} ; \frac{w^3}{9})[/itex] for some [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] with [itex](a)_n(b)_n = 1[/itex] for all [itex]n=0,1,2,...[/itex] Can I just pick [itex]a=b=0[/itex]?

5. Apr 5, 2012 #4
    I would do some extra checking to be sure that that's right. Can you plug the solution into the hypergeometric differential equation with a=b=0 and see if it solves it?

6. Apr 5, 2012 #5
    Actually [tex](0)_n (0)_n \neq 1[/tex] for n=0,1,2,... so how do I get 2 shifted factorials to equal 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook