1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wrong interpretation of physics

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    I need help with this, please.
    Name three moments in the terminator 1 in which the physics was wrong. what was wrong with the physics, and what should have happened? I need it urgently and it is not a homework problem, but it is very urgent.

thanks, i appreciate it

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2
    1. Time Travel
    2. Time Travel
    3. Time Travel

I can't really think of anything else too impossible.

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3
    Vorde,

I don't think that is the answer. what was exactly wrong with the time travel? that is what i mean. also, was time travel the only physics related moment in terminator?

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    I only saw terminator 2, not terminator 1. Sorry.

6. Jul 24, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This sounds like a homework problem and should be posted as such.

What do YOU think they might be? We're here to help you, not spoon feed you answers.

7. Jul 24, 2012 #6
    Can you give us any more detail on what exactly you'd be looking for? Maybe give us at least 1 example of your own?

I am pretty sure it's not a homework question since this movie is about 25 years old and rated R, so unless the prof just loves Terminator 1 then he's kinda out of touch, especially when T2 and T3 had way better physics scenes to tear apart (Semi crushing the highway barricade, mobile crane tearing down an entire building and cityblock, etc.).

8. Jul 24, 2012 #7
    Oh yeah, he goes in to the Gun Shop and orders a "Plasma Rifle with 40 watt range" in addition to a lot of conventional weapons.

A) How is Watts (1 Joule per second) an effective measurement of the distance a Plasma Rifle can shoot? (I think in this case, I'd pretend that Plasma is merely some arbitrarily large energy number, like..i dunno something measured in kilojoules.)

B) if Watts isn't an effective measurement of the distance an energy gun can shoot, what would make a better unit of measurement?

In the Dance Club scene, I *believe* The Terminator takes a shotgun to the chest and is thrown to the ground. If that's true, then how much force did the shotgun transfer to The Terminator, assuming The Terminator is 1 ton?
    Also, keeping in mind the conservation of energy and momentum, how much force would the shotgun have on John Connor as he shot it? Why didn't he fly back, and if he was suppose to fly back, how far should he have gone, assuming he weighs 180 pounds?

9. Jul 24, 2012 #8
    Two problems with time travel, one with material science.
    1) You can't change history, hence you can't time travel.
    -Even though general relativity wormhole models don't allow you to change history.
    2) Neither O'Conner nor the Terminator could transport clothes or weapons back in time with them.
    -They both appear naked without weapons. This implies that there is a law of physics which discriminates between robots and men versus weapons and clothes.
    -They were able to transport all the Terminators parts, electronic and mechanical, with no difficulty. They were able to transport both O'Conner with all his organic materials. They transported the Terminator, with both organic and inorganic material. Why couldn't either side send their representative back with clothes, weapons or other supplies?
    3) No dents on the Terminator,.
    -He is hit with so many bullets and bombs. Yet, when his fleshy covering is burnt off, there are no dents.

10. Jul 24, 2012 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, but he was made out of unobtanium, which doesn't dent. :smile:

Aloe, I think it is rude of you to say (1) you need this URGENTLY and (2) it is not homework, but then you don't say WHY you need it. What's the secrecy ?

11. Jul 24, 2012 #10
    I believe he said "in a 40 watt range"- 40 watts referring to a particular level out of a range of energies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook