1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wrong Path, need to step back and re-trace

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1
    Hey folks,
    I am currently studying at Ryerson (Toronto, Canada) in Computer Engineering (BEng) and I am starting my 3rd year in September. Since high school, I have been very interested in astronomy and quantam physics (at least what was taugh) and I always postulated my own theories on how daily objects work (most of them being close enough to reality) and even now as I sit in my office doing my summer job I search the web for ideas and theories to learn about astronomy and basically quantam physics and so on.
    Now I have decided that I really want to continue my career in theoretical physics (PhD), and find a nice job at a university while doing research. But if I change my studies now, I will be set back at least 2-3 years and I (and parents who probably wont approve) may not be able to pay off extra 2-3 years. But I cannot leave my current program with just a BEng, because then I won't be able to find a job too easily to pay for my Physics PhD. I was thinking of doing Masters in Engineering and then getting a job, then pursuing my career in Physics.
    If you have recommendations to what I can do as of now, that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 26, 2013 #3
    You would be very foolish not to get your computer engineering degree. I am sure you have acquired a great deal of programming skills and that will translate into getting a job. You may not even need a ME. Once you have a job you can prepare for the physics GRE and take it, then you can look for a grad program in physics. It is also a good idea to be proactive and talk to some physics professors in your prospective field to get their input.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook