1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X is an accumulation point show there is subsequence that converges to x

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose x is an accumulation point of {an: n is a member of integers}. Show there is a subsequence of (an) that converges to x.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm a little stuck on this one. I know that since x is an accumulation point then every neighborhood around x, (x-e,x+e) contains infinitely many points of an. I guess I just don't know how to construct the subsequence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2
    Suppose the subsequence we want is [tex]a_{n_1}, a_{n_2}, \ldots[/tex] with [tex]n_1 < n_2 < \cdots[/tex]. If you could ensure that [tex]x-1/k < a_{n_k} < x+1/k[/tex] for all k you'd be done (why?). Can you think of how you can ensure such a sequence exists?

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    Can we say the sequence is {x-1/k2} for integers>0 ? I'm still a little confused.

I know that the interval (x-1/k, x+1/k) will be contained in a neighborhood of x, and thus has infinitely many points. I'm not sure why we are using 1/k though. I guess we are in essence using the definition of an accumulation point repeatedly and narrowing the interval and making it converge to x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook