X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment using XRD on a material in two cases - one with the presence of outside electric potential and one without. They found that the two XRD patterns showed differences, which suggests that the electric potential is altering the original electron distribution. The speaker also mentioned the possibility of the sample's Ti4+ content having a relationship to what was observed. They further discussed the potential causes for these effects, including external fields and piezoelectricity. The speaker also shared their experiment result, which showed a peculiar outcome that may be related to the presence of Ti4+ in the material.
bearcharge
Hi, I was conducting an experiment on a material using XRD and I investigated two cases. One case is the presence of outside electric potential, that is, the material being connected to a electric circuit. The other case is the absence of this electric potential. I found that the two XRD patterns from these two cases differ, though not significantly. I think this is suggesting that the exerted electric potential is changing the original electron distribution, which is not surprising, right? Considering that the sample contains Ti4+ which has empty 3d orbitals, does this fact possibly has relationship to what I observed? Yes, I think I'm implying the interaction of X-ray with possible light-sensitive material in the presence of an electric potential. I'm sorry if this question belongs more to the chemistry area :) Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of external fields are we talking about here? I'm not familiar with such an effect, which doesn't mean it isn't commonly known to others, but I would expect it if the fields are large enough to perturb molecular wavefunctions and therefore interatomic bonds. You see analogous effects with isolated atoms, Stark line broadening and shifts.

A piezoelectric effect could also cause this, but it'd have to be a big effect, I think.

JeffKoch said:
What sort of external fields are we talking about here? I'm not familiar with such an effect, which doesn't mean it isn't commonly known to others, but I would expect it if the fields are large enough to perturb molecular wavefunctions and therefore interatomic bonds. You see analogous effects with isolated atoms, Stark line broadening and shifts.

Thanks for the answer. Actually, I was talking about an in situ synchrotron XRD of a battery material during discharging. During discharging, a two-phase transition was expected. However, this was not observed when the discharging was going on. Instead, the phase changed can be observed when I stopped the discharging circuit and then radiated the X-ray beam. I wonder if external electric potential is playing a role in this even though this potential is as small as several Vs...

fleem said:
A piezoelectric effect could also cause this, but it'd have to be a big effect, I think.

Thank you for the suggestion! As I explained in the previous reply, the external potential is only several Vs. I assume this is far from being big... The experiment result is peculiar as it didn't happen for other materials but for this one which has a Ti4+ in it. I was wondering if this is something special...

1. What is X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential?

X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential is a technique used in materials science to study the structure of crystalline materials. It involves passing X-rays through a sample while applying an electric potential, which causes the atoms in the sample to vibrate and produce a diffraction pattern.

2. How does X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential work?

X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential works by using a device called an X-ray diffractometer. The sample is placed in the path of the X-rays and an electric potential is applied. The X-rays are scattered by the atoms in the sample, producing a diffraction pattern that can be analyzed to determine the atomic structure of the material.

3. What types of materials can be studied using X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential?

X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential is commonly used to study crystalline materials, such as metals, ceramics, and minerals. However, it can also be used to study non-crystalline materials, such as glasses and some polymers.

4. What information can be obtained from X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential?

X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential provides information about the atomic and molecular structure of a material. This includes the spacing and orientation of atoms in a crystal lattice, as well as the presence of defects or impurities in the material.

5. What are the advantages of using X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential?

One of the main advantages of X-ray diffraction in the presence of electric potential is its ability to study crystalline materials in their natural state, without the need for extensive sample preparation. It also provides highly accurate and detailed information about the atomic structure of a material, making it a valuable tool in materials science research and development.