Hi kurious, I tend to prefer the idea that dark energy is due to a single field, but is because I always tend to simplicity, and I may be biased. In concrete, my favourite model of dark energy is that called quintessence.
Perhaps the most important quantity defining dark energy is the value of its equation of state. If dark energy is the cosmological constant, then the dark energy equation of state takes a fixed value always, this value is -1. However, if it's quintessence, the value of the equation-of-state varies over time. This is very important. But in general, the models of quintessence have a great difficulty, and is that they need that the initial conditions of the quintessence scalar field must have a very precisses values in order to obtain the energy density and the value of the equation of state at present time. In other words, they require fine tuning. This has been alleviate with the appearance of some models called "tracker quintessence", in these models the initial conditions are not important, a wide range of initial conditions converge to a common evolutionary track, hence the name tracker.