1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-rays diffraction in a solid, Bragg's law

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The X-rays diffraction diagramm of a cubic crystal shows lines for the following angles [itex]2 \delta = 31.47º[/itex], 39.74º, 47.58º, 64.71º and 77.59º when the X-rays have a wavelength of [itex]1.54 \times 10 ^{-10}m[/itex].
    Determine the crystal stucture of the net, the Miller indices of the diffractive planes and the parameter of the net.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\left ( \frac{\lambda }{2a } \right )^2 =\frac{sin ^2 (\theta )}{h^2+k^2+l^2}[/itex] where h, k and l are Miller indices.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I am not sure what they mean by "2 delta's". Second, it's the first time I'm asked to solve such an exercise and I've thought on it and I don't see a direct way to solve the problem, because I don't know the "parameter of the net", which I guess is "a" in the formula, nor do I know h, k and l.
    So I've started a try. I've tested for a bcc crystal structure and the test resulted in a negative answer. Please tell me if my approach is correct.
    I considered the angle \theta = 31.47º. From the given formula, I get [itex]a = \frac{\lambda }{\sin \left ( \frac{31.47}{2} \right ) } \approx 5.68 \times 10 ^{-10}m[/itex]. I considered h=2, k=l=0 because in a bcc crystal, h+k+l must be even.
    I then tried h=k=2 and l=0 and I took the value of "a" I just obtained in order to see if I could find an angle close to 39.74º but I reached a value for theta of about 22.55º.
    I realize that there are infinitely many other possibilities for the values of h, k and l for a bcc crystal structure so that I can't really affirm that the crystal isn't bcc. So how do I solve the problem? Should I work out a lot of possible values for h, k and l?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted