Yaw,Pitch and Roll Multiplication

In summary, the combined rotation of yaw, pitch, and roll angles is given by the product of three rotation matrices. This is not equivalent to simply adding the angles, and there are algorithms to convert back to an Euler sequence. It is possible to use other coordinate transformations to achieve a simple addition of the angles, but it depends on the specific scenario and may not always be possible. Additionally, it is important to consider the order in which the rotations are applied.
abubakr
If I have (α1,β1,γ1) and (α2,β2,γ2) as two set of rotation angles in radians.Where α is Yaw of α about z axis, β is pitch about y-axis and γ is roll about x axis. My question is when I multiply the two rotation sets what would be the result? Would it be simple addition of angles if I extract the angle information from result i-e (α1+α2,β1+β2,γ1+γ2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It doesn't work like that.

You need to multiply the matrices representing the rotations.
A rotation of angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] about the z axis is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\alpha) & -sin(\alpha) & 0 \\ sin(\alpha) & cos(\alpha) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

A rotation of angle [itex]\beta[/itex] about the y-axis is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\beta) & 0 & sin(\beta)\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ -sin(\beta) & 0 & cos(\beta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

A rotation of angle [itex]\gamma[/itex] about the x-axis is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & cos(\gamma) & -sin(\gamma)\\0 & sin(\gamma) & cos(\gamma)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

A rotation of "Yaw of α about z axis, β is pitch about y-axis and γ is roll about x axis" is given by the product of those three matrice and the combination of two such rotations is the product of the two rotation matrices or of all six matrices.

Halls, I fixed the math in your post.

abubakr, there are different conventions regarding which sine term in those matrices Halls posted is negated and the order in which the matrices are multiplied. If you want a combined yaw, pitch, roll sequence that is equivalent to your pair of yaw, pitch, roll sequence, there are algorithms to go from a matrix back to an Euler sequence. They are non-trivial and messy.

Thanks for answering.Halls, I exactly followed the sequence and I have check it for different values and changing order etc but its not the same.

I would like to ask (1) Is there any relationship between the final answer and initial angle values i-e if not addition then what? (2) Can we use Euler angle or Quaternion (Having no idea) or any other coordinate transformation, so that the final answer is simple addition of the angle. (I suspect that after first set of rotation,the second set of rotation apply to the 1st rotation rather than initial point.That is why they are not simply added).(3) Is it possible to apply Yaw of α about z axis and then β is pitch about y-axis but the y-axis is not transformed from 1st rotation etc.

1. What is the purpose of "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" in scientific research?

The purpose of "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" is to calculate the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. This is important in various fields of research, such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and virtual reality, where precise understanding of an object's orientation is crucial.

2. How is "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" different from other methods of calculating orientation?

"Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" is a mathematical method that uses three specific angles (yaw, pitch, and roll) to determine an object's orientation. Other methods, such as quaternions and Euler angles, use different combinations of angles and equations to achieve the same goal.

3. What is the mathematical formula for "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication"?

The mathematical formula for "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" is a combination of rotation matrices and trigonometric functions. It can vary depending on the specific convention used, but it generally involves multiplying the rotation matrices for each angle (yaw, pitch, and roll) together to get the final orientation matrix.

4. Is "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" used in real-world applications?

Yes, "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" is used in various real-world applications, such as flight simulation, navigation systems, and 3D animation. It is also commonly used in robotics to control the orientation of robotic arms and other mechanical systems.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication"?

One limitation of "Yaw, Pitch and Roll Multiplication" is that it can be prone to mathematical singularities, where the equations become undefined or unstable. This can occur when an object's orientation approaches certain extreme values. To avoid this, other methods, such as quaternions, may be used instead.