Yaw, pitch and roll vs. azimuth and elevation

• Thread starter senmeis
  • Start date
Hi,

Yaw, pitch and roll are used to describe the movement of planes or ships. Azimuth and elevation are used to describe the pointing direction of a dish antenna. Can they be used exchangeably? I think two angles are enough for planes and ships, why 3?

Owen

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
They don't describe movement so much as attitude, which is the physical orientation of an object relative to some reference coordinate system. You cannot fully define 3D attitude with only 2 coordinates.

I think two angles are enough for planes and ships, why 3?
Uh ... you think planes can only move in 2 dimensions?

russ_watters

Mentor
I think two angles are enough for planes and ships, why 3?
No, you need 3 axis on planes and ships; telescopes, dishes and solar panels don't need roll, so they only have 2.

russ_watters

Mentor
Uh ... you think planes can only move in 2 dimensions?
It's not about moving it's about orientation: 2 axes of orientation is enough to move in 3 dimensions (1 axis for 2 dimensions). You need the 3rd in vehicles just to stay level(roll).

russ_watters

Mentor
They don't describe movement so much as attitude, which is the physical orientation of an object relative to some reference coordinate system.
This is true but can be confusing when it comes to pitch, which is used interchangeably at least in shorthand "pitch" or "pitch attitude".

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I sell coordinate measurement machines. These cnc machine tools move in cartesian or polar coordinates. Cartesian system of coordinates use is the X,Y and Z axis where points are describes by x,y and z locations. Polar coordinates describe the location by a distance and azimuth or direction ( usually in degrees from an origin or datum) Elevation describes a location relative to height. ( usually AGL or above ground level or normal to the 0 plane of the X,Y axis along the Z axis.

Great video on roll yaw and pitch.

tech99

Gold Member
Notice that "roll" does not seem to have a meaning for an antenna, except that when we rotate the plane of polarisation we are executing roll.
It is also common to use the terms pan and tilt, as with photography.