Year 11 motion/vector problem?

• Thread starter caitie_72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the student is struggling with understanding motion in physics and is seeking help with a specific problem involving a body of mass 5kg moving with a velocity of 28.3 m/s and a westerly wind force of 73.5N. They attempted to solve the problem using the equations F=ma and a=v/t, but were unable to arrive at the correct answer of 588 N s East. The student is also struggling with understanding vectors and is asking for a simple explanation and help with drawing a vector diagram.
caitie_72

Homework Statement

I'm really not good at motion. It just doesn't seem to come easily to me, which is kind of disapointing, because physics is my favourite subject.

Question: A body of mass 5kg is moving in a north easterly direction with a velocity of 28.3 m/s. If a westerly wind acts on it with a force of 73.5N what is the change in momentum after 8s.

Homework Equations

F = ma, a = v/s
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured i'd find the velocity of the force.
F = ma
73.5 = 5a
a= 14.7

a = v/t
v = 14.7 * 8
v = 117.6

difference in p = m(v-u)
p = 5(117.6-28.3)

But this doesn't give the right answer. The answer is 588 N s East.

I know i probably need to draw vectors and what not but the whole concept of vectors confuses me deeply. :(
Could you explain to me how the diagram would work? Would i need to use non-right trig? And also, what am i doing wrong?
I don't understand a lot of the concepts of vectors and motion, so try and explain it in the simplest way possible, because I am not great at this stuff.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to think about velocity components for this one.

The change in velocity is in the east/west direction. So what was the initial east/west velocity component?

p.s. welcome to PF.

Hello,

First of all, it's great that you are seeking help and trying to understand the concepts of motion and vectors. These are important topics in physics and it's important to have a good grasp on them.

To start, let's define a few things:

- Momentum: Momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In this problem, the momentum of the body is given by p = mv, where m is the mass (5kg) and v is the velocity (28.3 m/s).

- Force: Force is a vector quantity that causes a change in an object's state of motion. In this problem, the force acting on the body is given by F = 73.5N.

Now, let's break down the problem step by step:

1. First, we need to find the change in momentum after 8 seconds. This can be calculated using the formula p = m(v-u), where m is the mass (5kg), v is the final velocity and u is the initial velocity.

2. We are given the initial velocity of the body, which is 28.3 m/s in the north-easterly direction. To find the final velocity, we need to take into account the force acting on the body.

3. Since the force is acting in the westerly direction, it will cause a change in the body's velocity in that direction. To find the final velocity, we can use the equation F = ma, where a is the acceleration caused by the force.

4. We can rearrange this equation to get a = F/m. Plugging in the values, we get a = 73.5/5 = 14.7 m/s^2. This is the acceleration caused by the force.

5. Now, we can use the equation v = u + at to find the final velocity. Plugging in the values, we get v = 28.3 + (14.7*8) = 28.3 + 117.6 = 145.9 m/s.

6. Now, we have the final velocity, v = 145.9 m/s, and the initial velocity, u = 28.3 m/s. Plugging these values in the formula p = m(v-u), we get p = 5(145.9-28.3) = 588 N

1. What is the difference between motion and vector problems?

Motion problems involve finding the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object in motion, while vector problems involve finding the magnitude and direction of a vector quantity.

2. How do I solve a year 11 motion/vector problem?

To solve a motion/vector problem, you will need to use the equations of motion and vector operations, such as addition and subtraction. It is important to clearly define your variables and use units consistently throughout your calculations.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a motion/vector problem?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong equation, forgetting to convert units, and not considering the direction of vectors. It is also important to check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I check my solution for a motion/vector problem?

You can check your solution by plugging your values back into the original equations and making sure they satisfy the problem. You can also use graphical methods, such as drawing a velocity-time or position-time graph, to visually confirm your solution.

5. What real-world applications involve motion/vector problems?

Motion/vector problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be applied to real-world scenarios such as projectile motion, motion of objects on an incline, and calculating the velocity and acceleration of a car on a curved road.