1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Year 11 motion/vector problem?

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm really not good at motion. It just doesn't seem to come easily to me, which is kind of disapointing, because physics is my favourite subject.

Question: A body of mass 5kg is moving in a north easterly direction with a velocity of 28.3 m/s. If a westerly wind acts on it with a force of 73.5N what is the change in momentum after 8s.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma, a = v/s
    ???

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured i'd find the velocity of the force.
    F = ma
    73.5 = 5a
    a= 14.7

a = v/t
    v = 14.7 * 8
    v = 117.6

difference in p = m(v-u)
    p = 5(117.6-28.3)

But this doesn't give the right answer. The answer is 588 N s East.

I know i probably need to draw vectors and what not but the whole concept of vectors confuses me deeply. :(
    Could you explain to me how the diagram would work? Would i need to use non-right trig? And also, what am i doing wrong?
    I don't understand a lot of the concepts of vectors and motion, so try and explain it in the simplest way possible, because im not great at this stuff.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to think about velocity components for this one.

The change in velocity is in the east/west direction. So what was the initial east/west velocity component?

p.s. welcome to PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?