1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yet another two-block system question. I guess I don't understand this still.

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attempt at solution. It has everything.

2. Relevant equations
    F_net = ma (net force)
    W = mg (weight)
    f_k = u_k * N (frictional force - kinetic)

T is the tension force.

3. The attempt at a solution

See attachment below. I realize I just posted a problem related to a two block system. I got help on the last problem and thought I understood it completely, but this time I'm REALLY not sure what I'm missing. I checked over the coordinate system and all the signs in the problem and thought all my steps made sense. Am I simply missing a force?

The answer I should be getting is u_k = 0.25, but I get 0.583 instead.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

For 10 kg block g*sinθ and ax are in the same direction. So in that equation you have to equate it to -m*ax.

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    Thank you, that did give me the correct answer. Are you saying the acceleration should be negative on block A since it is traveling in the -x direction (left)?

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The mass is moving in the direction of g*sinθ. In the equation you have taken g*sinθ -ve, so ax also -ve.

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5
    What is "ve"?

EDIT: Nevermind, you mean -ve = "negative" haha. I'm a little slow tonight, nevermind! I understand, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook