You can NOT solve this Problem, however please give it a try

• Thread starter Newton V
  • Start date
In summary, the addition of weight or mass to a moving object will result in a change in its path or rotation, depending on the specifics of the situation. The addition of mass without the force of gravity will not affect the object's linear motion, while the addition of weight or a force will cause a change in its path. The concept of weight, mass, and force should be clearly understood before attempting to come up with equations or formulas for such experiments.
Newton V

Homework Statement

Let's say there is an object, which is moving in the straight line...(on earth, however do not consider gravity yet)

However all the sudden i add some other weight on one part of this object!
Then what will happen?
Will the object keep going like it suppose to be or tilt?

Homework Equations

I will solve it myself, if had...duh?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to google it, however google gives nothing... but ads...

P.S.: I am a 9th grader... don't expect me smart enough to understand anything...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is weight added, or is mass added. The addition of weight implies that the object is now under a gravitational force. If "weight" is added, the path will change, because the object will undergo an acceleration. However, if only MASS is added, and the object is not under the force of gravity, it will continue on its linear path.

I think the mass will be an external force to the moving object
therefore it will undergo acceleration
so I think tilt is more reasonable than stay the same

quantize said:
Is weight added, or is mass added. The addition of weight implies that the object is now under a gravitational force. If "weight" is added, the path will change, because the object will undergo an acceleration. However, if only MASS is added, and the object is not under the force of gravity, it will continue on its linear path.

It doesn't matter, because it is just other force.

Could you perhaps be more specific about the collision. For example, is the mass 'dropped' onto the moving object, placed in front of it or does it collide with the moving object from behind?

nah it is ok, i just want make sure no one can answer it, because it is MY PHYSICS PROJECT, AND NOONE IS GOING TO RUIN MY IDEA!

If the object is moving along the ground and a mass is added, then the force of friction will increase and the object will slow down.

If it is moving in the air (e.g an airplane), then the additional mass will be an additional force acting on the object, and the object will rotate about the center of mass.

If the mass is dropped ON the center of mass, then it will create an additional force and the moving object will be lowered, unless an equal and opposite force is applied to the dropped mass the instant it hits the moving object, and then things will stay the same.

can i use your quote in my project?
marcusesses said:
If the object is moving along the ground and a mass is added, then the force of friction will increase and the object will slow down.

If it is moving in the air (e.g an airplane), then the additional mass will be an additional force acting on the object, and the object will rotate about the center of mass.

If the mass is dropped ON the center of mass, then it will create an additional force and the moving object will be lowered, unless an equal and opposite force is applied to the dropped mass the instant it hits the moving object, and then things will stay the same.

If by adding mass, you mean magically increasing the mass without exerting a force on the object, there would be no change if it is traveling in a vacuum.

If you mean like drop a bowling ball onto the object, then it's path would be altered according to the direction of the applied force and other variables.

... duh? my experiment idea is to find the equation for it!
Don't steal my physics experiment or i am doomed... this is very important experiment, a new forumla!

Oscar Wilde said:
If by adding mass, you mean magically increasing the mass without exerting a force on the object, there would be no change if it is traveling in a vacuum.

That's assuming you have magically added magically moving mass.

Indeed.

please do not think about mass, but consider other force that is suddenly added to the projectile. ( i can add the force! just need to do some calcuation, and then i can fire a rock or something to hit the bottom of the rocket and cause the rocket get extre force)

Newton V said:
please do not think about mass, but consider other force that is suddenly added to the projectile. ( i can add the force! just need to do some calcuation, and then i can fire a rock or something to hit the bottom of the rocket and cause the rocket get extre force)
A massless rock hitting a massless rocket?

In all seriousness we could provide more help if you'd give us a little more detail regarding your gedanken experiment.

Last edited:
Newton V said:
consider other force

G-Force?

Just make sure Galactor won't steal your plans.

i mean consider it has weight... gosh, you don't understand at all...

I doubt you'll be able to get any good experimental results from firing a rock at a rocket. This problem is easily solvable by the conservation of momentum if we knew the specifics of the problem. However your definitions of force, mass and weight seem to be murky at best. Perhaps a quick browse of wikipedia would help?

sorry but this is my experiment and there are mean people on the internet, which mean i can not yet tell you my experiment before i publish my experiment.

Cheers!

dear 9th grader,

an object can move in many different ways. if the object is spinning, addition of mass to any part on the orig. mass that is not at the center of mass will alter the way the object spins. if the object is merely moving in linear displacement without spin and gravity is not considered, the object cannot tilt.

Remember, an object in motion will continue to move without a force (gravity)

Newton V said:
can i use your quote in my project?

If you give me proper credit.

But if you really want to come up with a formula (or formulae) for this, then you need to understand the basics of mechanics (i.e kinetics and kinematics).

Now if the mass of the object magically increased (as some people are suggesting), then that's a different story.

But some understanding of the physics of the problem (and the appropriate definitions) would probably lead to a solution to your problem.

don't worry i will put your name on it, and i will contact you before it get published, however i am now working on the rockets building, see you all later.

Newton V said:
don't worry i will put your name on it, and i will contact you before it get published, however i am now working on the rockets building, see you all later.

riiiiiiiiiiight...

1. Can you explain why this problem is unsolvable?

The problem may be unsolvable due to several factors such as incomplete information, conflicting constraints, or inherent complexity.

2. What steps should I take in attempting to solve this problem?

Start by carefully analyzing the problem and breaking it down into smaller parts. Then, try to identify any known strategies or techniques that may apply. If those do not work, explore alternative approaches or consider seeking help from others.

3. Is it worth attempting to solve this problem even if I know it cannot ultimately be solved?

Yes, attempting to solve a problem can still yield valuable insights and knowledge that may be applicable to similar problems in the future. It can also help to improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How can I determine if a problem is truly unsolvable or if I just haven't found the solution yet?

It can be difficult to determine if a problem is truly unsolvable or if a solution simply has not been found yet. One approach is to consult with other experts in the field to get their insights and perspectives. Alternatively, you can also try to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts to see if any progress can be made.

5. Are there any benefits to attempting to solve an unsolvable problem?

Yes, attempting to solve an unsolvable problem can still have several benefits such as improving critical thinking skills, gaining a deeper understanding of the problem, and potentially discovering new techniques or strategies that could be useful in other areas of research.