You prefer physics or Chemistry? and why

In summary: Chemistry also has equations for things like acids and bases, but they are not as straightforward as in physics.
Nikitin
just a random thread.. Anything to escape my German-homework :-/

imo Chemistry is fun. I don't know why people give it so much flak and say it isn't logical.. It is. Everything one memorizes there makes sense if you apply well-known rules to all the bonds and chemicals.. Also acid-base reactions and equilibriums are just beautiful :)

anyway this is my opinion, what is yours? Seems like a love-or-hate subject,, heh I'm the only 1 in my class who actually likes chemistry..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemistry is boooring.

Both, because when I fell in love with my wife, it wasn't just physical, there was a chemistry between us.

Hmmm,

Chemistry Forums (http://chemistry.forumotion.com/) - 1,144 posts; most ever users online: 39

Chemical Forums (http://www.chemicalforums.com/) - 163,481 posts; most ever users online: 632

Chemistry Forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83) - 4297 threads; I don't know many posts, but the most popular thread (Mixing household bleach with urine) appears to have 58,404 views (that thread makes me glad I don't have a furry tongue).

Physics Forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/) - 2,946,723 posts; most ever users online: 6293

I think Physics is more popular.

Actually, I really enjoyed chemistry lab. Of course, I enjoyed Geology, too, and I wasn't even enrolled in that class - I just did the labs.

Last edited:
the problem with chemistry is that there's just so much stuff. nomenclature alone is some kind of black art.

Nikitin said:
just a random thread.. Anything to escape my German-homework :-/

imo Chemistry is fun. I don't know why people give it so much flak and say it isn't logical.. It is. Everything one memorizes there makes sense if you apply well-known rules to all the bonds and chemicals.. Also acid-base reactions and equilibriums are just beautiful :)

anyway this is my opinion, what is yours? Seems like a love-or-hate subject,, heh I'm the only 1 in my class who actually likes chemistry..
I'm interested in both actually - and more chemical physics or physical chemistry. Mainly because I deal with materials and how they perform in an aggressive environment.

For my work, it's necessary to simulate how given alloys systems respond to irradiation, including transmutation, and corrosion. Irradiation induces dislocations in a material, and that affects creep, strength and fracture toughness. Surface effects include corrosion over a range of temperatures and chemistries. The simulations involve ceramics, metals, and cermets.

One challenge is to find the optimal composition for a given alloy systems, and each alloy composition is a system all to itself.

Never a dull moment.

Biology.

:D

I think I prefer chemistry over physics. I had some thoughts about doing chemistry in university, but in the end I found a subject in which I was more interested.
I never thought about doing physics, it just doesn't excite me as much...

Although I concede that chemistry is a branch of science in its own right; the basis of modern chemistry -- its very foundation -- is quantum mechanics. Which is physics. So there is a common ground.

collinsmark said:
Although I concede that chemistry is a branch of science in its own right; the basis of modern chemistry -- its very foundation -- is quantum mechanics. Which is physics. So there is a common ground.

There is common ground between all branches of science, in my opinion.

zomgwtf said:
Biology.

:D

To tell the truth I'd rather Biology then Chemistry but nothing can displace Physics. Relativity, Rotational Mechanics, Newton's Laws, Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Condensed Matter Physics, these are absolutely brilliant ideas! On a side note, would anyone whom is a Condensed Matter Physicist or current undergraduate/graduate Physics student like to take part in a an interview tomorrow? It's something I'm going to add on in my assignment :biggrin:!

Last edited:
BobG said:
I think Physics is more popular.

Actually, I really enjoyed chemistry lab. Of course, I enjoyed Geology, too, and I wasn't even enrolled in that class - I just did the labs.

fyi, our chem forum has 22k+ posts of the highest quality :)
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6 [Broken]

those other forums you are likely counting non-chemical topics

Last edited:
Physics! LOL! Though I do want to start teaching myself Chemistry.

I dislike chemistry just because I dislike doing experiments. There seems to be a lot more of those in chemistry than in physics. I'd rather sit at a desk with a pencil, some paper, and a computer than wear safety gear and mix chemicals.

I would have answered, but the capitalization in the title is wrong.

humanino said:
I would have answered, but the capitalization in the title is wrong.

And the font.

You prefer PHYSICS or chemistry? and why

BobG said:
You prefer PHYSICS or chemistry? and why
I prefer physics because I do not understand the calculations in chemistry. The mathematics necessary to rigorously justify those calculations just take too many years of university, so I never went into them.

Physics on the other hand makes crystal clear calculations : if you want to calculate the volume of a cow, just assume it's spherical. Then if you want to calculate its weight, just assume it's entirely water. This is all fine. It goes wrong when you ask "what happens if I push a cow downhill ?". We simply blame the model for being too simple to answer such a hard question.

Now if you want to calculate the weight of the cow using chemistry, first you need a list of all the relevant components and their concentrations, then you need to know the volume of the cow. At this point, unless there is a physicist around, you are at a loss.

humanino said:
I prefer physics because I do not understand the calculations in chemistry. The mathematics necessary to rigorously justify those calculations just take too many years of university, so I never went into them.

Physics on the other hand makes crystal clear calculations : if you want to calculate the volume of a cow, just assume it's spherical. Then if you want to calculate its weight, just assume it's entirely water. This is all fine. It goes wrong when you ask "what happens if I push a cow downhill ?". We simply blame the model for being too simple to answer such a hard question.

Now if you want to calculate the weight of the cow using chemistry, first you need a list of all the relevant components and their concentrations, then you need to know the volume of the cow. At this point, unless there is a physicist around, you are at a loss.

Don't you like mathematics more then? I mean, all math does is tell you that the cow has a volume and that it is a certain constant c. In particular, there is a function [tex]w:\{cows\}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^+[/tex] that associates a volume with the cow. Isn't that a lot easier??

humanino said:

C'mon, even a chemist knows how to measure cow volume. Find a big tub of water, measure the volume, immerse the cow, measure again. Simple calculation.

micromass said:
Don't you like mathematics more then?
I do love maths, but the thread was not "math or chemistry ?". And I am glad the thread was not "math or physics ?".
lisab said:
C'mon, even a chemist knows how to measure cow volume. Find a big tub of water, measure the volume, immerse the cow, measure again. Simple calculation.
Well, to be honest I thought about it but could not decide whether this method was physics or chemistry :smile:

humanino said:

well, from my (limited) experience, the math in chemistry isn't the same type as in Physics (where you must understand why you use it).

In chemistry, it is made to systematize things in a good way, so trying to understand why the math was made like that isn't so critical. Like the entire solubility equilibrium jazz. It works fine.

Nikitin said:
It works fine.
Sure it works. But I just don't understand it, and that is why I prefer physics. I did take time to try to understand some of the underlying math. The little I understood was fascinating, I really loved it.

Are you worried about "why it works ?" or content with "it works !".

Both.

I like the application of physics to chemical problems. Thus, I'm pursuing a masters in Theoretical Chemistry and a Ph.D in Chemical Physics. Couldn't be happier.

humanino said:
Sure it works. But I just don't understand it, and that is why I prefer physics. I did take time to try to understand some of the underlying math. The little I understood was fascinating, I really loved it.

Are you worried about "why it works ?" or content with "it works !".
Well, I gave it a go.. But after a while I got to the fine revelation of "it doesn't matter!"

It's just made so because it is practical.. that's all. Why it is practical? Well I guess you'd have to study chemistry in-depth to understand why the mathematicians and chemists created such math, a hundred years ago or so...

That's my opinion anyhow.. I won't mind if someone would debunk it if it's wrong, tho.

Czelaya, yeh, physics is fun as well, I agree :approve:

lisab said:
Make sure the bath tube is properly calibrated.

Or use the mass and a density of about 1 g/cc.

What is the main difference between physics and chemistry?

The main difference between physics and chemistry is that physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while chemistry is the study of the composition, properties, and reactions of substances. Physics focuses more on the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, while chemistry focuses on the structures and changes of matter.

Which subject is more applicable in real life, physics or chemistry?

Both physics and chemistry have many real-life applications. Physics is used in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine, while chemistry is used in fields like pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and materials science. It ultimately depends on the specific application and problem being addressed.

Which subject requires more math, physics or chemistry?

Both physics and chemistry require a strong foundation in math. However, physics tends to involve more complex mathematical concepts and equations, such as calculus and differential equations, while chemistry relies more heavily on algebra and basic calculus.

Which subject is more theoretical, physics or chemistry?

Both physics and chemistry have theoretical components, but physics tends to be more theoretical. This is because physics aims to understand the underlying laws and principles of the universe, while chemistry focuses more on practical applications and experiments.

Which subject is more hands-on, physics or chemistry?

Both physics and chemistry involve hands-on experiments and practical applications. However, chemistry tends to involve more hands-on lab work and experimentation, while physics involves more theoretical and mathematical problem-solving. It ultimately depends on the specific course and curriculum.