You think you know how to ride a bike?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Borek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bike
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Mentor
Messages
29,213
Reaction score
4,643
Fantastic :smile:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt and lisab
Physics news on Phys.org
I only watched a little bit of the video. Was something done to that bike to make it less stable?
 
I bet his son could switch back and forth fairly easily.
 
This begs for the question whether you can learn riding both simultaneously. In the sense that you could (almost) instantaneously switch between the systems.

Big piece of wisdom btw, welders being smarter than engineers.
I remarkably often hear from friends in construction about architects drawing beautiful houses but impossible to build (without ugly hacks).
 
berkeman said:
I only watched a little bit of the video. Was something done to that bike to make it less stable?

Yes, they put a simple gearing system on the front fork so that turning right made it turn the wheel left and vice versa. It was a pretty clever adjustment. I think everything was the same as a normal bike.

I've seen other bike mods where they've changed the front fork angle of attack in various ways to introduce an instability.
 
berkeman said:
Was something done to that bike to make it less stable?

Scroll to 0:42.
 
That guy at 1:46 apparently has an altered bike too.