Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You think you know how to ride a bike?

1. May 19, 2015 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Fantastic :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Yeah, I saw this earlier. It's really great. He got one thing wrong though when he mentioned the gyroscopic action of the bicycle wheel spin helping you to maintain your balance. This has been shown to be false or insignificant in the least.

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh/gyrobike.htm

4. May 19, 2015 #3

berkeman

I only watched a little bit of the video. Was something done to that bike to make it less stable?

5. May 19, 2015 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet his son could switch back and forth fairly easily.

6. May 19, 2015 #5
    This begs for the question whether you can learn riding both simultaneously. In the sense that you could (almost) instantaneously switch between the systems.

Big piece of wisdom btw, welders being smarter than engineers.
    I remarkably often hear from friends in construction about architects drawing beautiful houses but impossible to build (without ugly hacks).

7. May 19, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Yes, they put a simple gearing system on the front fork so that turning right made it turn the wheel left and vice versa. It was a pretty clever adjustment. I think everything was the same as a normal bike.

I've seen other bike mods where they've changed the front fork angle of attack in various ways to introduce an instability.

8. May 20, 2015 #7

Borek

Scroll to 0:42.

9. May 20, 2015 #8
    That guy at 1:46 apparently has an altered bike too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook