1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young'a double slit experiment

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in a double-slit experiment, blue light of wavelength 4.60*10^2 nm gives a second order maximum or CI at a certain location P on the screen. what wavelength of visible light would have a minimum or DI at P?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dun get it at all
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2
    The equation for double slit experiments when it is a maximum is
    sin A=m(wavelength)/d. The equation for minimums is
    sin A=(m+0.5)(wavelength)/d. Where A is the angle from where the observer will look at the spot on the screen. M is the "order" of the spots, whether it be max or min. d is the distance between the slits. Put all the constants on one side, which will be the sin A and d. Simple math and equating the equations together will get you the correct answer.

The question is a bit of vague, since it does not say what order is the minimum.
  4. Mar 26, 2007 #3
    i dunno it was nelson's text book chapter 9 review Qs
  5. Mar 26, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But it does say visible light.
  6. Mar 26, 2007 #5
    lol, i missed that ;)
  7. Mar 26, 2007 #6
    um..how should i start it...
  8. Mar 26, 2007 #7
    How should i start it!?><
  9. Mar 26, 2007 #8
    well, just follow the instructions in my previous post

move the constants to one side for both equations and equate the other sides together.

you know that m1 is 2 and wavelength1 is 4.60*10^2 nm.
    Now try different values for m2 that will result in a wavelength that's between 400 to 700 nm. (visible light)
  10. Mar 26, 2007 #9
    oh, so when i replaced m2 to 1, i got about 600nm..i think thatz the answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?