1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's double slit-halving amplitude?

1. Nov 11, 2016 #1

MBBphys

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,
    For the Young double slit experiment, say I have a plane wavefront approaching the double slit; now, if I halve the width of one of my slits, will the amplitude of the light exiting that slit be halved as well?

2. Relevant equations
    None directly relevant I know of, but related:
    Intensity directly proportional to [amplitude]2
    nλ=dsinθ
    λ=(ax)/D

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I thought that, as the slit width is really very close to the wavelength of light itself, that halving would have a noticeable impact on the amplitude? But I also wondered whether making it much smaller than the wavelength of light as a result would completely block out the light anyway??
    Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2016 #2
    The intensity of the light coming through the slits is directly proportional to the width of the slit
    And intensity is proportional to the square of amplitude. So amplitude2 is proportional to width

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted