1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's Experiment (destructive interference)

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having some trouble understanding the following solved problem:

In Young’s experiment, narrow double slits 0.20 mm apart diffract monochromatic light onto a screen 1.5 m away. The distance between the 5th minima on either side of the zeroth-order maximum is measured to be 34.73 mm. Determine the wavelength of the light.

Solution:

I don't understand why they have used ##(m-\frac{1}{2}) \lambda## as the condition for destructive interference, instead of ##(m+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda##?

2. Relevant equations

For destructive interference my textbook uses:

##d \ sin \theta_{dark} = (m+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda##

(this is an approximation)

3. The attempt at a solution

If I use -1/2, then 5th minima turn out to be are 9λ apart, just like the model answer.

However when I use +1/2 I get a totally different solution:

##\therefore \ \lambda = \frac{\Delta y a}{(5.5-(-5.5)) L}= \frac{\Delta y a}{11 L} =421 \ nm##

So, why do they use -1/2? And which method is correct? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I think both you and your book might be wrong on this one. I'm getting ##1029nm## as the answer.

I used: ##\frac{wx_n}{L} = (n - \frac{1}{2}) \lambda##

Where ##n## represents a nodal line number.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  4. Nov 8, 2013 #3
    No, that's wrong because you are not given y, you are given ##\Delta y##.

5. Nov 8, 2013 #4
    My textbook ("Optics" by Hecht) uses "m+1/2", while my other book ("Introduction to Optics" by Pedrotti) uses "m-1/2" for destructive interference. The two methods clearly produce different results! :confused:

Why in this particular situation, do we need "-1/2" and not "+1/2"?

6. Nov 8, 2013 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

No, you are not given ##\Delta x##.

##\Delta x## represents the distance between two consecutive nodal or antinodal fringes.

##x_n## represents the distance from a minimum to the right bisector (central maximum).

They are not talking about the distance between two consecutive node/antinodal fringes, rather the distance from the 5th minima on either side of the fringe pattern to the right bisector.

Also, because the fringe pattern is symmetric, I beleive it wouldn't matter whether you used ##(n - 1/2)## or ##(n + 1/2)##.

It depends on which direction the author likes to measure I believe.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  7. Nov 8, 2013 #6
    You are using a different notation. I never defined ##\Delta y## as the distance between consecutive fringes! It is the distance between the position of 5th minima on one side, to the 5th minima on the other.

##y## itself is the linear positions of fringes measured along the screen from the bisector you mentioned.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  8. Nov 8, 2013 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Indeed I use a different notation myself, but that really doesn't change the logic too much.

Just use ##\frac{wy}{L} = (n - \frac{1}{2}) \lambda## then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted