Young's modulus question with answer notation issue

In summary, the teacher has determined that the result is within 3 digits of the correct answer and there is no need to use more precision.
chriscarson
Summary:: why this answer ?

I have the result of a young s modulus that is 358280256.25 and the answer the teacher gave us is 3.58 x 10 to the power of 8 .

why not 358.3 x 10 to the power of 6 ?

how she s deciding how many steps goes back with the point , the answer of a sum before this one she moved 6 steps back but now 8 .

Any rules please ? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Either way should be fine. The way that you posted with an exponent that is a multiple of "3" is called "Engineering Notation", since it can be represented by a prefix on the units (like kOhm = 10^3 Ohms, MPascal = 10^6 Pascals, etc.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_notation

1580740552912.png

Likes chriscarson
berkeman said:
Either way should be fine. The way that you posted with an exponent that is a multiple of "3" is called "Engineering Notation", since it can be represented by a prefix on the units (like kOhm = 10^3 Ohms, MPascal = 10^6 Pascals, etc.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_notation

View attachment 256549
what you mean by ( exponent that is a multiple of "3") ?

ok so I should nt have a wrong answer in the exams , I can go back with the point how many steps I want .

Thanks

Likes chriscarson and berkeman
chriscarson said:
what you mean by ( exponent that is a multiple of "3") ?
Did you see the table from Wikipedia that I quoted?
chriscarson said:
ok so I should nt have a wrong answer in the exams , I can go back with the point how many steps I want .
I'm not able to parse what you said, but as @Merlin3189 points out, your teacher may be wanting to see the answer in standard/scientific notation. Your calculator probably has a configuration to use either notation (mine does, and I keep it in Engineering Notation, since I work with the SI prefixes a lot in my EE work).

Likes chriscarson
Merlin3189 said:
Here in UK, the mantissa with a single non-zero figure before the point multiplied by the appropriate power of ten, is known as "standard form" and is generally used in school science and GCSE exams.
https://gcseguide.co.uk/maths/numbers/standard-form/

I will try that when I buy a scientific calculator . so 10 exp and the number of power is for a number that the point is forward a + i mean , what you press after exp if it is with - the power of ?

berkeman said:
Did you see the table from Wikipedia that I quoted?

I'm not able to parse what you said, but as @Merlin3189 points out, your teacher may be wanting to see the answer in standard/scientific notation. Your calculator probably has a configuration to use either notation (mine does, and I keep it in Engineering Notation, since I work with the SI prefixes a lot in my EE work).
I checked it out but it does nt say if there is standard rule how many steps you go back or forward.

A simple calculator will likely not include the Engineering Notation option.

What does it display if you do this: 1,000,000 squared?

berkeman said:
A simple calculator will likely not include the Engineering Notation option.

What does it display if you do this: 1,000,000 squared?

1 000

chriscarson said:
1 000
Squared. Not square root...

berkeman said:
Squared. Not square root...

oh sorry , I think I don t have that button

84160246_496056461094637_686141976386469888_n.jpg

So on my HP42 scientific calculator (on my Droid smartphone), I get these answers:

Engineering Notation:
(1,000,000)^2 = 1.00E12
(4,000,000)^2 = 16.0E12

Scientific Notation:
(1,000,000)^2 = 1.00E12
(4,000,000)^2 = 1.60E13

Makes sense?

chriscarson said:
oh sorry , I think I don t have that button
Then just type 1,000,000 X 1,000,000 and so on...

Likes chriscarson
berkeman said:
So on my HP42 scientific calculator (on my Droid smartphone), I get these answers:

Engineering Notation:
(1,000,000)^2 = 1.00E12
(4,000,000)^2 = 16.0E12

Scientific Notation:
(1,000,000)^2 = 1.00E12
(4,000,000)^2 = 1.60E13

Makes sense?

sorry but I don t understand that much about physics , well we don t have to go that deep I guess but maybe in the future I will meet this table , I will keep it , thanks

Likes berkeman
chriscarson said:
When I see a number like that I've been taught to read that the actual value is between
358280256.245 and 358280256.255 and the relative accuracy would be around 10-10. Probably too optimistic.

Apparently teacher knows that the accuracy of the given data justifies around three digits, no more.

[edit] forgot to post -- my reply has been sitting here for hours :-)

Likes chriscarson
chriscarson said:
Summary:: why this answer ?

I have the result of a young s modulus that is 358280256.25 and the answer the teacher gave us is 3.58 x 10 to the power of 8 .

why not 358.3 x 10 to the power of 6 ?

how she s deciding how many steps goes back with the point , the answer of a sum before this one she moved 6 steps back but now 8 .

Any rules please ? thanks

No one should ever be marked wrong for this choice of notation. Yes, scientific is pretty standard, and yes engineering is another common choice. Yes, you will communicate best and annoy the least if you conform. However all choices are easily understood as the same number. You just can’t say that the answer is wrong unless the notation is what you are teaching and the problem says to “write the answer in standard form” or similar. Short of that, the right number is the right number no matter how you write it.

On the other hand the two forms you give in the original post have different numbers of significant figures, and getting that wrong can easily lead to losing some points. Are you sure you lost points for notation, or might you have lost points for significant figures?

Likes berkeman and chriscarson
BvU said:
When I see a number like that I've been taught to read that the actual value is between
358280256.245 and 358280256.255 and the relative accuracy would be around 10-10. Probably too optimistic.

Apparently teacher knows that the accuracy of the given data justifies around three digits, no more.

[edit] forgot to post -- my reply has been sitting here for hours :-)

Yes maybe this time with 3 digits but later on or before she used 2 digits before the point .

Cutter Ketch said:
No one should ever be marked wrong for this choice of notation. Yes, scientific is pretty standard, and yes engineering is another common choice. Yes, you will communicate best and annoy the least if you conform. However all choices are easily understood as the same number. You just can’t say that the answer is wrong unless the notation is what you are teaching and the problem says to “write the answer in standard form” or similar. Short of that, the right number is the right number no matter how you write it.

On the other hand the two forms you give in the original post have different numbers of significant figures, and getting that wrong can easily lead to losing some points. Are you sure you lost points for notation, or might you have lost points for significant figures?

No I just asked if I will lose marks .

What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation when subjected to an external force. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material that is being stretched or compressed.

How is Young's modulus measured?

Young's modulus is typically measured through a tensile test, where a sample of the material is pulled in opposite directions until it reaches its breaking point. The stress and strain values are then recorded and used to calculate the modulus.

What is the unit of measurement for Young's modulus?

The unit of measurement for Young's modulus is typically in pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as gigapascals (GPa) or megapascals (MPa).

How does Young's modulus differ from other types of modulus?

Young's modulus is specific to the linear elastic region of a material, meaning it only applies to materials that behave elastically and return to their original shape when the external force is removed. Other types of modulus, such as shear modulus and bulk modulus, measure a material's response to different types of external forces.

Why is notation an issue when discussing Young's modulus?

Notation can be an issue when discussing Young's modulus because there are different notations used in different fields of science and engineering. Some common notations include E, Y, and G, which all refer to Young's modulus but may have different units or mathematical relationships in different contexts. Therefore, it is important to clarify which notation is being used when discussing Young's modulus.