1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human Bone Youngs Modulus and Load Question

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A human bone has a youngs modulus of 10^10 N m^-2. It fractures when the compressive strain exceeds 1%. What is the maximum load that can be sustained by a bone of cross sectional area 3cm^2?

2. Relevant equations???

F= Y*(change in length/ original length)* cross sectional area

3. The attempt at a solution

F= (10*10^10)* (1/100)* (3^2)

I then get the answer 9* 10^8

I dont understand what units I am supposed to use...and if this answer appears correct or not.

Can anyone shed any light? Have I done this correctly?

TIA! :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    you cant use cm^2 your constant is in N/m^2, also you dont square it.......

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    i get 30000N newtons is the unit from your actual question
    ps Y is 10^10 not 10*10^10 could be a typo??

5. May 26, 2010 #4
    When I take onboard the tips you have given me, I get the same answer as you! I thought (10* 10^10) was the same as (10^10)???

Anyway, I also received an answer of 30000.

Is that the final answer? Do I need to do something with the results? Isnt that too big?

6. May 26, 2010 #5
    not really sure what you mean, that is the answer.... units of force are Newtons. and who did you recieve an answer form... teacher???

7. May 26, 2010 #6
    No I didnt receive an answer from teacher, I formulated it myself but it appears I didnt get it right!

Thanks so much for your help, I know I am lacking the basic knnowledge for this but I am doing my best :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook