Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Human Bone Youngs Modulus and Load Question

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A human bone has a youngs modulus of 10^10 N m^-2. It fractures when the compressive strain exceeds 1%. What is the maximum load that can be sustained by a bone of cross sectional area 3cm^2?

2. Relevant equations???

F= Y*(change in length/ original length)* cross sectional area

3. The attempt at a solution

F= (10*10^10)* (1/100)* (3^2)

I then get the answer 9* 10^8

I dont understand what units I am supposed to use...and if this answer appears correct or not.

Can anyone shed any light? Have I done this correctly?

TIA! :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    you cant use cm^2 your constant is in N/m^2, also you dont square it.......

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    i get 30000N newtons is the unit from your actual question
    ps Y is 10^10 not 10*10^10 could be a typo??

5. May 26, 2010 #4
    When I take onboard the tips you have given me, I get the same answer as you! I thought (10* 10^10) was the same as (10^10)???

Anyway, I also received an answer of 30000.

Is that the final answer? Do I need to do something with the results? Isnt that too big?

6. May 26, 2010 #5
    not really sure what you mean, that is the answer.... units of force are Newtons. and who did you recieve an answer form... teacher???

7. May 26, 2010 #6
    No I didnt receive an answer from teacher, I formulated it myself but it appears I didnt get it right!

Thanks so much for your help, I know I am lacking the basic knnowledge for this but I am doing my best :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook