Young's Slit Interference (Double Slit)

In summary, to find the slit separation of a double slit arrangement that will produce interference fringes 11.5 mrad apart on a distant screen, use the formula a*sin(theta) = p*wavelength, where a is the slit separation, theta is the angle, p is the order of the fringe, and wavelength is the light's wavelength. However, be aware that this formula only gives the angles for the minima and a separate calculation may be needed for the maximum at theta = 0.
singinglupine
Find the slit separation of a double slit arrangement that will produce interference fringes 11.5 mrad apart on a distant screen with light of wavelength 471.0 nm.

tan(theta) = y/D
asin(theta) = p * wavelength

I know that I'm trying to solve for a, and that asin(theta) = 11.5, but I feel like I don't know enough information to solve the problem. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle is θ = 11.5 mrad, the wavelength 471 nm so your expression should be more like
a*sin(11.5 mrad) = p*471 nm.
Be sure to get rid of the milli and the nano.

There is a little problem with that formula - it gives the angles for the minima whereas there is a maximum at θ = 0, so you'll have to do a couple of calculations perhaps for p = 1 and p = 2 to get a difference in angle between two minima.

Ah thanks. :)

What is Young's Slit Interference?

Young's slit interference is a phenomenon in which light passing through two narrow parallel slits produces an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This pattern is a result of the constructive and destructive interference of the light waves.

What is the principle behind Young's Slit Interference?

The principle behind Young's slit interference is the wave nature of light. When light passes through the two slits, it diffracts and creates two coherent sources of light. These sources then interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes on the screen.

What factors affect the interference pattern in Young's Slit Interference?

The interference pattern in Young's slit interference is affected by the wavelength of light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. These factors determine the spacing and intensity of the fringes in the pattern.

What is the significance of Young's Slit Interference?

Young's slit interference is significant because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light and demonstrates the superposition of waves. It has also been used in various experiments to study the properties of light and the behavior of waves.

Can Young's Slit Interference be observed with other types of waves?

Yes, Young's slit interference can be observed with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. This phenomenon is not limited to light waves and can be observed with any type of wave that exhibits interference.