Your Experience: Is knowledge mainly a function of time?

In summary, spending time immersed in a subject will lead to increased knowledge, but this is only possible when the person is focused.
DukeofDuke
Hi PF,

I am an undergrad who recently started getting much more involved in his research (basically I am a HEP code monkey). Anyways, most of the technological aspects of the work were completely unknown to me, I started from scratch. And I found that, looking for the answer to one glitch, I'd spend many hours pouring through manuals and that process actually gave me a lot more knowledge of the general processes/program than when I'd tried to "learn" it earlier. I am guessing this is due to the higher time I was exposed to the manual searching for specific answers...

So I am wondering, is knowledge mainly a function of time, and immersion? Will I learn actual physics better also if I spend unfocused hours immersed in the text? Not looking to memorize the knowledge or really do anything with it, but just sit with it for longer amounts of time? Do we learn simply as a function of time spent in immersion or what other factors play a big role?

Thanks,
DoD

Physics news on Phys.org
DukeofDuke said:
what other factors play a big role?
I'd say that it depends on how focused you are when you do it. Most are more focused when they are solving problems than when they are just reading a text without any specific goal.

DukeofDuke said:
Will I learn actual physics better also if I spend unfocused hours immersed in the text?

No, physics cannot be learned passively like that, since its a subject where learning is not the same as remembering. Spending a lot of time with a history book passively may lead to some knowledge of history, but in physics you have be actively engaged in thinking things out, working problems etc.

dx said:
No, physics cannot be learned passively like that, since its a subject where learning is not the same as remembering. Spending a lot of time with a history book passively may lead to some knowledge of history, but in physics you have be actively engaged in thinking things out, working problems etc.

Agreed.

The situation you describe with programming, however, is very common. I guess it happens because when you want to find the answer to something, you have a higher level of focus than when you're just looking at manuals without relevance. This is the same situation that exists when solving problems in physics: the key message? answering problems and doing tutorial sheets is the way to learn. :tongue2:

fasterthanjoao said:
Agreed.

The situation you describe with programming, however, is very common. I guess it happens because when you want to find the answer to something, you have a higher level of focus than when you're just looking at manuals without relevance. This is the same situation that exists when solving problems in physics: the key message? answering problems and doing tutorial sheets is the way to learn. :tongue2:

The only thing with this is, generally problem sets get rushed. You scope the book for the answers, but don't have time to actually think about the equations...whereas in simpler coding there's not much to learn but convention. Problem sets, though, are a time bomb and no one gets to spend as much time thinking about the ideas as they thought they would.

[tex]knowledge=\int (effort) dt[/tex]

1. How does time affect the acquisition of knowledge?

Time plays a crucial role in the acquisition of knowledge. As we gain more life experiences and accumulate information over time, our knowledge base expands. This allows us to make more informed decisions and have a better understanding of the world around us.

2. Can knowledge be gained without the passage of time?

While some knowledge can be gained without the passage of time, such as through reading or learning from others, the acquisition of wisdom and deeper understanding often requires the passage of time. This is because personal experiences and reflections over time allow us to make connections and gain a deeper understanding of complex concepts.

3. How does the concept of time impact our understanding of knowledge?

The concept of time is closely linked to our understanding of knowledge. Time allows us to organize and structure our thoughts, making it easier to process and retain information. It also allows us to reflect on our past experiences and make connections to new information, leading to a deeper understanding of knowledge.

4. Is knowledge lost as time passes?

While knowledge may fade over time if not revisited or practiced, it is not necessarily lost. Our brains have the ability to store vast amounts of information, and even if we do not actively use certain knowledge, it can be retrieved through memory recall. Additionally, new experiences and information can also help to reinforce and build upon previous knowledge.

5. Can knowledge be gained at any point in time?

Yes, knowledge can be gained at any point in time. While the passage of time may be necessary for certain types of knowledge, there is no limit to when one can gain knowledge. Learning is a lifelong process, and we have the ability to continue acquiring knowledge at any stage in our lives.