Votes: 4 12.9%
  • cello

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Coincidence you discuss Uillean pipes. That happens to be my favorite. I was introduced by way of Enya, their pipest has a hauntingly beautiful sound. Especially on slower pieces. Very expressive. On a Celtic radio program I've heard the name pronounced Il'-in Enya features their Uillean pipes on at least one song per album.

Another very expressive instrument (i am in agreement with others here) is violin/fiddle. Their sustain especially on double_stops is beautiful.

I play a brass instrument that requires your ear to play. It does not have discrete positions but is a continuum. Can you guess what it is? I also play guitar and mandolin.

turbo

Gold Member
I play a brass instrument that requires your ear to play. It does not have discrete positions but is a continuum. Can you guess what it is? I also play guitar and mandolin.
'Bone!

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
yessir!! :approve: ...(a.k.a. sackbutt, slush pump...) Also comes in handy as a siphon. It pulls a nice vacuum. :biggrin:

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hammered Dulcimer
Yes they have a beautiful & distinctive sound.. I remember hearing a hammer dulcimer playing the intro song on Crockett's Victory Garden.. The first one I'd seen up close, was in Indiana (1983) at a Fiddler's Gathering.. The dulcimer player was sitting on a stump and hammering some enchanting sounds. I hear they're a bear to tune.

You did not put down a jews harp, my grandad used to play one, i think one must have false teeth.
:rofl: false teeth :rofl: this is an inside joke to anyone who has ever attempted to play one of these. The first time, invariably the metal bar will snap against your teeth... No fun...:frown:

Last edited:
four other instruments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited:

Danger

Gold Member
I couldn't vote, because my favourite isn't listed.
To me, there's nothing quite so awe-inspiring as the sound of a hippopotomus farting in a kettle drum.

CompuChip

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Danger

Gold Member
Apparently not. The sound of a rooster being raped by a cement mixer, which quite accurately describes my wife's singing voice, is also not on the list.

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is a seriously biased list. Even within western music, we should have tuba, euphonium and trombone added to the poll.