Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your favourite musical instrument?

Your favourite musical instrument?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2008.
  1. guitar

16 vote(s)
  2. piano

15 vote(s)
  3. saxophone

3 vote(s)
  4. trumpet

1 vote(s)
  5. violin

10 vote(s)
  6. flute

2 vote(s)
  7. clarinet or oboe

2 vote(s)
  8. harmonica

2 vote(s)
  9. drums

4 vote(s)
  10. cello

4 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    What is your favourite musical instrument?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    you forgot synthesizer
  4. Jan 23, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My three picks

I voted piano because it's the first instrument I learned to play and though I don't get to play it as often as I'd like sometimes, it's still a relief to just sit and fiddle a bit. I checked guitar because it's so versatile (so many different styles) and much easier to carry (e.g. to a party or a camp) than a piano -- still want to learn that sometimes.
    One of my favorite instruments to listen to is the violin, I can like a song just because it has a good violin part :smile: Unfortunately I've heard it's very hard to learn, I really admire people who have mastered it.
  5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted for Piano and Guitar.

I play both, amongst many other instruments. While neither of this is the most beautiful-sounding of instruments (not by a long way), I feel that both are incredibly versatile; much more so than any other instrument I can think of. Most musical styles can be played (to sound convincing) by someone skilled in either.

I've recently acquired an accordion, and while it's a challenge, it's a joy to play. Unfortunately the range of sounds which can be made from it are rather limited. I've decided I want to learn to play the cello.
  6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    Piano, and in a sense all keyboard type instruments. Piano players on average pick up harmony and voice leading a lot faster due to the intuitive layout of the keyboard.
  7. Jan 23, 2008 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Piano for me, since it is one of the few instruments that my thick-meaty fingers can actually play without getting in their own way.

And Glen Gould's Goldberg variations is my alltime favorite recording. OK, "recordingS", since he did them twice.
  8. Jan 23, 2008 #7

Gold Member

You did not put down a jews harp, my grandad used to play one, i think one must have false teeth.
  9. Jan 23, 2008 #8
    I play bass guitar. Kinda counts as a guitar, but the mechanics of playing it are very different, besides being an entire octave lower.
  10. Jan 23, 2008 #9
    I think that the guitar and violin are the two most expressive and versatile instruments. (although I am biased because I play both). I also play a bit of piano and mandolin.

On the fiddle I like French Canadian and east coast party music:

so this is what people did before techno

La Bottine Souriante - only show I've ever been to where nobody sat down.

"Cajun Stripper"

"Orange Blossom Special" - folks, please give your children videogames instead of musical instruments

On the guitar I go in for zippy fingerpicking and wacky tunings

Richard Thompson, "1952 Vincent Lightening"

Bob Dylan, "Blood In My Eyes" - betcha didn't know Bob could play guitar this good

Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi"

Bruce Cockburn, "Foxglove"

Jimi Hendrix, "Wind Cries Mary'
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Jan 23, 2008 #10
    Cello, drums and guitar here. Played cello for 'bout a year and a half. Given a tab and some time, I can play most things on guitar, and drums because they're integral to everything.
  12. Jan 23, 2008 #11

Gold Member

Voted for (bass) clarinet, played it for 5 years
  13. Jan 24, 2008 #12
    Already you can see the flute clarinet and cello are not so popular even though my other poll of the kind of music people like shows that classical music is very popular.
  14. Jan 24, 2008 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It isn't listed, I play a mean CD.
  15. Jan 24, 2008 #14

Gold Member

Anyone play the fiddle?
  16. Jan 24, 2008 #15
    Couldn't vote. Love the clarinet, hate the oboe.
  17. Jan 24, 2008 #16
    The flute, for its enchanting sound!
  18. Jan 24, 2008 #17
    Fiddle :(noun) redneck and or illiterate hick word for violin. See also violin
  19. Jan 24, 2008 #18

Staff: Mentor

Hammered Dulcimer
  20. Jan 24, 2008 #19

Gold Member

I think it was a bass guitar that hooked me on Outkast "Hey ya"
  21. Jan 24, 2008 #20

Gold Member

Irish fiddle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?