Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your physical shape and condition

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1
    Are you satisfied with your current weight and level of fitness? If so, what do you do to maintain it? If not, why do you think you have fallen from it (assuming you were once there)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I work to say fit, yes. I take it you're a runner, runner? It's probably my favorite way to get a good workout, but now that I'm in my 40s, I can tell it takes a toll on my joints. In fact I'm nursing an iliotibial band strain right now :cry:.

Nearly every morning I either work arms or core. My dad is 81 and works out three times a week - he's in fantastic shape. His body looks very much like Jack LaLanne's. I suspect I'll work to stay fit all my (hopefully long) life.

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I sprained my ankle walking from my bed to the bathroom this morning.

5. Aug 2, 2010 #4

berkeman

Work out 7 days a week most weeks. Swim - bike (MTB) - run - weights - motocross (when I can). Low-fat diet for the most part, and yes, I'm happy with my fitness and weight. Racing a Splash n' Dash this Thursday evening at Steven's Creek Reservoir... :biggrin:

6. Aug 2, 2010 #5
    Yes. I am in the best cardio shape of my life at 29. I play soccer, practice karate, and hit the heavy bag.

7. Aug 2, 2010 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

evo, are you okayy????? Have you put ice on your ankle?

8. Aug 2, 2010 #7
    :surprised

9. Aug 2, 2010 #8
    I don't do anything other than walking a lot. Other than BMI of 18, my glucose, bp, cholesterol, hdl are perfect! But doctor said BMI is good too as far it does not go down more.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  10. Aug 2, 2010 #9

berkeman

(she's accident prone, not hard of hearing....)

11. Aug 2, 2010 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm a WORRIER!
    I need to use big letters to express my concern!

12. Aug 2, 2010 #11
    I'm a big believer in health and fitness and advocate everyone dedicating one room in their home as a fitness room with just fitness stuff and nothing else to clutter it. That's what I have: stepper, climber, row machine, lat machine, bench press, dumbells, barbells, few other things, nice rug to do floor exercises and of course a sound system to jam to. But that's absolutely NOT necessary: you can do a perfectly fine exercise routine in a completely empty room (rug would help though).

Oh yeah, guess I'm in pretty good shape.

13. Aug 2, 2010 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:
    You do that in the morning? May I ask what your routine is? I have a subscription with a fitnessclub around the corner, but I haven't been there in months (too busy in the weekends). During the weekdays I used to go to Essentrics workouts, but they now require a subscription and I'm not taking on subscriptions to two different fitness clubs :grumpy: There will be workouts in the parks starting next weekend, so I'm planning to at least go there.

14. Aug 2, 2010 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was young I was a big believer in a certain number of reps, a short rest, repeat...pretty much the normal routine. But now I just go my how it feels.

An example of core exercises: I use a big rubber ball to balance on and do straight sit-ups until I'm fatigued. Then I rest and stretch. Then I'll do side-to-side situps, also to fatigue. Rest and stretch, and then back to straight ones. I do this until it only takes about 5 before I'm fatigued. I don't count or time them, I just go with how it feels.

It's basically the same with weights, but sometimes I use light ones, sometimes heavier ones (depends on how much time I have; it can take a long time to reach fatigue with 3 pound weights!).

Are the park workouts in a group?

15. Aug 2, 2010 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe I should try morning work-outs, maybe they help me get out of bed easier :smile: (usually I wake up and 20 minutes later I sit in the train, not the most fun routine).

Yes they are, there should be music as well. I just hope the weather stays good, it should be fun!

16. Aug 2, 2010 #15
    No. Its because I spent two months eating chinese food with absolutely no exercise and spent almost 2 weeks being very ill after that.

Normally I do weights and bike riding just about every day.

17. Aug 2, 2010 #16
    Or you can just walk to work o:)

I don't understand people who use cars for places where they can walk to but do long work outs to stay fit.

18. Aug 2, 2010 #17

I like to ride my bike to school but during the summer I get drenched in sweat by the time I get there if I walked. I don't have access to the school rec center either so changing cloths isn't really an option. If you wear a suit or something to work you don't really want to physically excerpt yourself getting.

19. Aug 2, 2010 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, that would take me at least 14 hours, that would be a good workout! In all seriousness, I would Love to walk/bike to work (that's what I did in Detroit, of all places), but I'm not going to limit where I work based on that criterion :smile:

20. Aug 2, 2010 #19
    I have seen many people at my work who use car for 10 minute walking distances in all kind of seasons, don't use free gym at work, but rather spend like 100$/month at a gym nearby.

21. Aug 2, 2010 #20
    I was a runner, and then I decided to do other forms of cardio to save my knees, etc., also. I work out in a gym where I spend 1/3 of my time doing mat work, 1/3 on the treadmill and the rest in the pool.

Sorry to hear about your IBS problem. I used to get that occasionally when I would run on the edge of a road that slopped off... ughh! I just got back from the gym where I spent the last 2 hours. I try to get there about 4 times a week.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook