1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z^3-1=0 (express using de moivres theorum)

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use De Moivre's theorem to obtain solutions to the equation (Z^3)-1=0

2. Relevant equations

z^n= rθ^n(cosnθ+isinnθ)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having difficulty on figuring out how to meld the equation to De Moivres Theorem

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write z=r(cos(θ)+isin(θ)). So you have z^3=1. What are the possibilities for r and θ? Start with r. By convention we pick r>=0. What must r be?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    r would be 1 and θ=0 right?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good start! That's one solution. Can you find two more? Try to think of other values of θ that might work. cos(3θ) has to be 1 and sin(3θ) has to be 0.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    ok so

z^3= 1^3(cos(3θ)+isin(3θ))

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not so special. cos(2π)=1 and sin(2π)=0. Suggest a value for θ using that.

8. Oct 17, 2012 #7

2pi!

9. Oct 17, 2012 #8
    Sorry I keep taking too many hints, I get it after I post that I don't understand

10. Oct 17, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The number "1" has "polar form" r= 1 and [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] because the number 1= 1+ 0i is represented by the point (1, 0) which is at distance 1 from (0, 0) and angle 0 with the positive x-axis. Alternatively, x= 1+ 0i= 1(cos(0)+ i sin(0)).

Now, cosine and sign are periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. So the x-axis, in addition to being "[itex]\theta= 0[/itex]" is also "[itex]\theta= 2\pi[/itex]" and "[itex]\theta= 4\pi[/itex]".

(As well as "[itex]6\pi[/itex]" or "[itex]9\pi[/itex]" or even "[itex]-2\pi[/itex]", etc. but those are not important. Do you see why?)

11. Oct 17, 2012 #10

Because it is really the same position right? 2pi=4pi in terms of position on the circle?

12. Oct 18, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True. But we are mainly interested in values of θ between 0 and 2π. The others are really just 'copies'. If you put θ=2π you get the same z value as θ=0. I was hoping you'd say 2π/3. Do you see why that works and is more interesting?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook