Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z attach x, what is the name of this?

  1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to reveiw the concepts of a proof class I took last summer, and there's one thing that's killing me. What is it called and what's the notation used when you "attach" something to a set. For example, my professor would define "the integers attach √2" as the set {a+b√2 : a, b in Z} or the complex numbers as "the real numbers attach i."

    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

    Stephen Tashi

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

  4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    YES!!! Thank you.

    Is the "attach" verbal notation common? It isn't mentioned on the Wikipedia page. How do you usually say Z(i)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook