1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z-particle creation with relativistic e-beams

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The aim in a particle scattering event is to let an electron and a positron collide and annihilate each other to form a Z-particle. The (rest) masses of these particles are given by:
    [tex]m_e- c^2 = m_e+ c^2 = 0.511 MeV[/tex]
    [tex]m_Z c^2 = 91.187GeV[/tex]

There are two ways the experiment could be done. One way is to take a beam of positrons and fire these at a target containing (almost) stationary electrons. The other is to take a beam of positrons and a beam of electrons moving with equal speeds in opposite directions.

Determine the energies required in the two different processes.

2. Relevant equations

Given in accompanying notes:

[tex]\\mathbb{P}_1 \\cdot \\mathbb{P}_1 = -(m_i c)^2
    =(\\mathbb{P}_3 - \\mathbb{P}_2) \\cdot ( \\mathbb{P}_3 - \\mathbb{P}_2)
    =-(m_3 c)^2 - (m_2 c)^2 + 2 m_3 c E_2 / c[/tex]

This formula replaces one P term of the final term with E2/c - which is fair enough, makes sense. To solve for a target case, there's a little jigging about but the method is essentially the same.

The problem I have is that using this method - taking conservation of momentum and ensuring that the zero 3-momentum term of the electron's 4-momentum cancels in the dot product, I can't see why one cannot solve this equation in exactly the same way for the electron and the positron, thus giving the same answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

See above - it's the given formula I have a problem with, not the method itself. I'd like to use what i've been given if at all possible.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your tex didn't come out so well. But the thing to remember is that M_Z*c^2 worth of mass energy in the center of mass frame in each case.
  4. Jan 30, 2007 #3
    Gah. I can never get the hand of tex.

Nevermind. I've sorted this out now, problem solved.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?