ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
730 replies · 191K views
Sorry for the double post, but these pictures are from another trip I did (we were only two this time) two years ago in 'La Vall de Núria' (Núria's Valley). I think we did a total of 8 peaks in 2 days, not bad considering that in the first day we were mostly focused on Puigmal (about 10000 feet?). Here are some of the panoramic pictures!

Enjoy!

PS: the second picture portraits 'els llacs de Carança' (Carança's lakes), French side.
 
Attachments
  • 61553_1611627534235_1342672903_1641969_5742210_n.jpg
    61553_1611627534235_1342672903_1641969_5742210_n.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 61553_1611627734240_1342672903_1641974_2030132_n.jpg
    61553_1611627734240_1342672903_1641974_2030132_n.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 469
  • 61888_1611601173576_1342672903_1641827_6473603_n.jpg
    61888_1611601173576_1342672903_1641827_6473603_n.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
And here are three bonus from the 'La Vall de Núria' hike.
The first one was taken from the peak of Bastiments I believe; the second portraits 'El pic de l'infern' (=Hell's peak); and the third one is just me standing in front of 'Coma de vaca'.
 
Attachments
  • 60135_1611607733740_1342672903_1641876_2730984_n.jpg
    60135_1611607733740_1342672903_1641876_2730984_n.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 59065_1611613773891_1342672903_1641909_1842247_n.jpg
    59065_1611613773891_1342672903_1641909_1842247_n.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 59061_1611610613812_1342672903_1641895_7269348_n-1.jpg
    59061_1611610613812_1342672903_1641895_7269348_n-1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 454
Great pictures, Redsummers. I need a trip to the Pyrenees.
 
Astronuc said:
Great pictures, Redsummers. I need a trip to the Pyrenees.

Thanks Astro! And if you ever happen to be around... let me know!
 
Comparing the 'super moon' (perigee) to the full moon at apogee:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4917/apogeeperigee1.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely amazing Redsummers. Thanks for sharing.
 
Gad said:
Absolutely amazing Redsummers. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I'm glad that you liked it, Drizzle! :) I certainly didn't know about this thread, but it's nice that so many people post these lovely landscapes and their astrophotography work. I will be checking it often now.

@Andy: brilliant composition!
 
I got lucky last night and managed to get both the crescent moon and venus (this is a composite shot, btw...)

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/7420/dsc6285t.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A few shots of my village and surrounding areas:

http://im29.gulfup.com/2012-05-05/1336236864292.jpg
http://im25.gulfup.com/2012-05-05/1336236890604.jpg
http://im29.gulfup.com/2012-05-05/1336236865135.jpg
jb12997850073.jpg

jb12997849463.jpg

jb12998651052.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This takes natural selection to a whole new level.



Rhody...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
This takes natural selection to a whole new level.

Rhody...
Are you referring to the badger or the narrator? :smile:
 
Borg said:
Are you referring to the badger or the narrator? :smile:

Ha... not going there...

Rhody...
 
Definitely indoor, and in Polish only, still worth mentioning. Few weeks ago Polish speleologists discovered an extension in the Jaskinia Niedźwiedzia (http://www.jaskinia.pl/jaskinia/en/index.php , named after large number of cave bear bones found inside) in Polish Sudety Mountains:

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/regionaln...za-jaskinie-,5146276,0,fotoreportaz-duzy.html

Scrolling through the images should be obvious even if you don't speak Polish. Picture 6 is a map, new part is in black. Entry there is pretty difficult - through a very narrow, vertical shaft, which is why it wasn't discovered earlier.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your reporter from a south western village in the Arabian Peninsula has come back with, what he hopes to be, beautiful outdoor images from a journey to a surrounding mountain. Enjoy!

http://center.jeddahbikers.com/download.php?img=623298
http://center.jeddahbikers.com/download.php?img=623303
http://center.jeddahbikers.com/download.php?img=623526
http://center.jeddahbikers.com/download.php?img=623530
http://center.jeddahbikers.com/download.php?img=623537
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful, CDTOE. Looks like a great place to explore!
 
Anyone know what kind of insect this is? They are on a maple tree laying eggs.

7376088110_d4124b8610_b.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A thunder storm just came through and I snapped a few photos...I just love lighting...
7392282188_3c8100a05a.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one. I am still waiting for a good thunderstorm to take pictures of. Last years they are either too far or during a day.
 
sas3 said:
A thunder storm just came through and I snapped a few photos...I just love lighting...
7392282188_3c8100a05a.jpg
How did you trigger the shutter? Did you leave it open and capture different strikes?
 
Astronuc said:
How did you trigger the shutter? Did you leave it open and capture different strikes?
I'm wondering the same thing. I see these types of pictures but I have no idea how to achieve them.
@sas3: I'll add my congratulations on an excellent shot as well.
 
No idea how sas3 took the picture, but there two ways of taking such pictures that I tried.

During the night open the shutter and wait till the lightning:

thunderstorm1.jpg


During a day shot a video and select the frames with the lightning:

thunderstorm_09863.jpg


(yes, it is from the same window and in almost the same direction)
 
And sure enough, nowadays there are http://www.lightningtrigger.com/Tips.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
No idea how sas3 took the picture, but there two ways of taking such pictures that I tried.

During the night open the shutter and wait till the lightning:

During a day shot a video and select the frames with the lightning:

(yes, it is from the same window and in almost the same direction)
Thanks, Borek. Sometimes I think that things are harder than they are. If someone came to me and said that they needed a lightning picture any way possible, I would probably end up using the two that you mentioned. But, ask me how to do it and I draw a blank. :rolleyes: Now, all I need is a good storm...

And, nice pictures BTW.