ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
730 replies · 191K views
I took video and grabbed the frames off them, I also tried to snap some photos when I seen the first flash but had no luck, I would think that leaving the shutter open would get overexposed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sas3 said:
I would think that leaving the shutter open would get overexposed.

It is a matter of finding right combination of ISO, exposition time and aperture. It is much easier during the night. And you need a tripod, but that's obvious.
 
I will have to do some experimenting next time a storm comes up. I would think the pictures would be a lot better because the video has limited resolution.
 
sas3 said:
I took video and grabbed the frames off them, I also tried to snap some photos when I seen the first flash but had no luck, I would think that leaving the shutter open would get overexposed.
That video is pretty darn good.


I thought I had posted something on Alex Honnold and his record breaking climb at Yosemite's Mt. Watkins, El Capitan and Half Dome in something like 19 hrs.


He just set another record - Florine, Honnold Set New Nose Speed Record
http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes/florine_honnold_set_new_nose_speed_record/
Climbing.com said:
6/18/12 - Hans Florine and Alex Honnold broke the Nose speed record on El Capitan in Yosemite Valley on Sunday with an ascent of 2 hours, 23 minutes, 46 seconds. This is about 13 minutes faster than the previous record set by Sean Leary and Dean Potter in 2010.
. . . .

Somewhere in this forum, we have a thread about mountains, but I don't think we have one on rock climbing.


A really spectacular waterfall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DudhSagar.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not that great and not that outdoor. We had two weeks of thunderstorms, but they were always in the wrong place - either too close, or too far, or in the direction that is blocked from sight. There was one that was more or less OK but it was short - so I managed to shot only one reasonably good looking picture:

thunderstorm4.jpg


and 1:1 crop of the lightning:

thunderstorm5.jpg
 
ISO 100, f 8, time around 30" (actually I was using bulb mode, waiting for the lightning and closing the shutter after the flash - edit: checked, 44"), 28 mm. Upper image is already cropped.
 
Last edited:
July 11, 2012 - There was a massive landslide on Lituya Mountain in Alaska's Fairweather Mountains.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...johns-hopkins-glacier-chocolate-frosting10200

Drake Olson owns and operates a flying service up in that area if one wants to visit.
http://www.flydrake.com/2011/04/mt-emmerich-cathedrals-ski-support/

He shot some photos of the landslide (apparentely after the fact) from the air.

Some amazing scenery up that way.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw an interesting sunset with the sun reflecting off the bottom of the clouds and went out to photograph it.

EveningSky.jpg


When I turned around to go back in the house, I got this view.

Rainbow.jpg
 
Got to spend a couple days in the mountains after a recent conference in Denver. It was great to be out in the wilderness, even if only for a weekend.

332cye8.jpg
 
just back from vacation, where I made these star trails (4-hour exposure):

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6410/bothz.jpg

It's hard to get a sense for the detail- here's a 1:1 crop showing an Iridium flare and meteor trail:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5153/both1s.jpg

At this scale, the print would be 8 feet across.

Here's a composite shot (I can't decide if I like it or not):

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1613/result1z.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Two more of the Milky way, first with the 15mm @ f/4 (30 second exposure), including a 1:1 crop of M7, which is too close to the horizon for me to see from home:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1592/highfiltered1.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/915/highfilteredcop.jpg

M7 is the bright blob in the lower right, the lens is doing a great job keeping coma and field curvature low, even this close to the edge of the image.

and M7 as seen through the 400mm, this image is cropped and downsized considerably:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/725/stackedtifrgb.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Photographer captures stunning images of rare, violent electrical storm
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/34761/photographer+captures+stunning+images+of+rare+violent+electrical+storm/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Photographer captures stunning images of rare, violent electrical storm
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/34761/photographer+captures+stunning+images+of+rare+violent+electrical+storm/

Link seems to be correct (it is posted on many other sites), but I am getting 403. Perhaps the account went over bandwidth quota.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Beerenberg on Jan Mayen, a Norwegian island in the Arctic sea at 71ºN latitude.

http://www.pbase.com/eaaseth/beerenberg&page=3

Beerenberg is the world's northernmost volcano above sea level, a still active stratovolcano, 2277 meters high.

Recently, there was a 6.8 magntiude earthquake - 88km NW Jan Mayen
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc000cb69#summary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The trees are changing in upper Michigan and we need rain...
7989397244_9df26fc33c_c.jpg
 
I really need to get up to Newfoundland and Labrador.

http://www.opxpeditions.com/story/weathered-cliffs-creaky-tuckamore-and-sea-stacks-a
 
Surf's up again!
http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/36285/winter+comes+early+in+hawaii+with+arrival+of+50-foot+surf/
 
Last edited by a moderator: