ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
730 replies · 191K views
Here's another one that I like, taken on the 2nd day of Steve's and my Bailey Range trip (Olympic Nat'l Park) last month. We're on our way from Appleton Pass over to the start of the Bailey Range traverse. We're making our way on the trail that winds to the left here, but I asked Steve to turn around so I could get the front of him into the picture.

As you can see, the terrain is set at a fairly steep angle.
IMG_0814_cmp.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and Borek
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
For those along the west coast of the US - one can hike all or part of the Pacific Crest Trail
http://www.activelynorthwest.com/inspiration/pacific-crest-trail/

I want to know how old that guy is. I hiked 23 miles one evening*, and felt the effects for years!

But I'm a Moody Blues fan, and their phrase; "thinking is the best way to travel", has always stuck with me.
I've never had the finances to travel much, so I've always been very appreciative of the fact that people take pictures on their journeys.
I think some young person should hook up with Google Earth, and put a mini-me go-pro camera set up on a helmet.
I could watch that all day.

ps. Just listened to the song. I think they were promoting drug use. I don't promote drug use. "Faster than light, if you want to", kind of implies that they were kooks. Nice music though. But, do not take acid. Trust me... And floss...

* I was 47, and way past my hiking prime.
 
Astronuc said:
Lonnie Dupre first to climb Mount McKinley solo in January
Arctic climber reaches summit at 20,237 feet in darkest, coldest time of year
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/lonnie-dupre-first-climb-denali-solo-january/

January is the harshest month to climb Mt. McKinley, where winter winds regularly exceed 100 mph, temperatures drop below minus-60-degrees Fahrenheit, and the days have just six hours of sunlight.
I just finished Jon Krakauer's book, "Eiger Dreams," which was written in the late 80's I think. It's a collection of articles that appeared in various magazines. In one of the chapters he talks about a trip he made to McKinley, which many climbers rate as right up there as one of the toughest in the world. It's not as high as the big 8,000 m. Himalayan peaks, but its extreme northern latitude makes for horrendous weather any time of the year.
 
Astronuc said:
A risky pastime, but I have to do this some day.

Pioneering Climber Dean Potter Killed in Wingsuit BASE Jumping Accident

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/ng-adventure/adv-beyond-the-edge-potter

http://www.outsideonline.com/1981591/dean-potter-killed-base-jumping-accidentRIP Dean Potter, 43, and Graham Hunt, 29, who both died from impact during a wingsuit flight from Taft Point in Yosemite National Park, just after 7:30 p.m. on May 16.
BASE jumping is illegal in all national parks, though according to those in the community, it happens often, typically at dusk or at night, when the chances of being caught by park rangers are lower. There were only four arrests for BASE jumping in national parks in 2014—coincidentally, one of those was Hunt, though the charges were dropped due to circumstantial evidence.
Gravity sucks when you break the law. I hope they put a lien on his estate for the cleanup. I feel sad for his family but not for him.
 
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/investigators-helmet-camera-captured-deadly-base-jump/ar-BBjY2lV
 
Astronuc said:
A risky pastime, but I have to do this some day.

Pioneering Climber Dean Potter Killed in Wingsuit BASE Jumping Accident

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/ng-adventure/adv-beyond-the-edge-potter

http://www.outsideonline.com/1981591/dean-potter-killed-base-jumping-accidentRIP Dean Potter, 43, and Graham Hunt, 29, who both died from impact during a wingsuit flight from Taft Point in Yosemite National Park, just after 7:30 p.m. on May 16.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/sports/dean-potter-final-yosemite-jump.html
 
http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best-trails/worlds-best-hikes-dream-trails/

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best-trails/worlds-best-grail-trails/

Capilano Suspension Bridge
 
Last edited:
Kerguelen Archipelago (fr. Archipel Kerguelen) or Iles Kerguelen is one of the most isolated places on the planet.

http://www.discoverfrance.net/Colonies/Kerguelen.shtml
http://www.eoearth.org/view/article/172118/
http://www.kerguelen-voyages.com/consulter/PagePerso.asp?LangueID=1&PagePersoID=256
http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/pro...nds-part-iii-iles-kerguelen-and-heard-island/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerguelen_Islands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerguelen_Plateau

Visit to Kerguelen in time lapse -


kerguelen islands images

Another interesting destination in the neighborhood - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heard_Island_and_McDonald_Islands
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
Our trip to Germany didn't go exactly as planned, but some views around Neuschwanstein were definitely worth the hike.

neuschwanstein001.jpg


neuschwanstein002.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, OmCheeto, Astronuc and 1 other person
Here's a shot of the North Face of the Matterhorn, taken from the summit of the Zinalrothorn:

js1024_P01054.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, DennisN and Astronuc
Beautiful photo...
Waterfowl Lake in Banff National Park, Alberta / Canada
6218969989_0fffb9e4ec_b.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mondayman
27905105792_dcfdbe587f_b_d.jpg


Otter rock looking down to Devils Punch Bowl and the beach to Newport behind the point lighthouse in the far distance.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and Borek
Kalapana, Hawaii where the sea meets the lava
BBuXMobCIAAopcg.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Sophia, Borg and 1 other person
Bull elk in the wilds of Olympic National Park, taken Thursday (9/15), on a four-day backpacking trip involving a cross-country traverse from one river valley to the next one over. After spotting this bull, we later saw that he had a harem of about a dozen cow elk. We camped just above the basin the elk were in, and we heard them bugling that evening and well into the night.
IMG_1189.JPG

On our fourth day, clouds rolled in, with possible threatening rain. What would have been a short day over to a lake turned into a somewhat longer push. Virtually all of our traverse between the two river valleys were along elk trails, many of which led to dead ends, forcing us to backtrack and find another route. Here's a look back along one of the easier trails we were on. This part of the park is rarely visited by people, so this trail is mostly used by animals of the four-legged variety. Can you spot the trail?
IMG_1201.JPG

As it turned out, getting out when we did was the right call. We had light rain driving home that night, and rain all day yesterday (Saturday).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc, Borek and Borg