ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
730 replies · 191K views
Crescent moon this evening: 1.2% illuminated.

DSC01917_filtered_small_zps225e7b48.jpg


Data: 800/5.6, ISO 1600, 1/10 s. This image has been downsized- original is 1800 pixels on a side.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Some them i would like to share

Some of the pics i have taken shared here :)
 
Attachments
  • 375465_329479413744232_209359089_n.jpg
    375465_329479413744232_209359089_n.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 9104_672207352804768_333324743_n.jpg
    9104_672207352804768_333324743_n.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 528
  • 392929_329480123744161_1744972878_n.jpg
    392929_329480123744161_1744972878_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 516
  • 393288_329479297077577_1878178502_n.jpg
    393288_329479297077577_1878178502_n.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 487
  • 392763_329121997113307_1630190880_n.jpg
    392763_329121997113307_1630190880_n.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 374003_329091143783059_1101871264_n.jpg
    374003_329091143783059_1101871264_n.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 500
Lots of us were outside today- human and otherwise. This one is half of a nesting pair that has been living nearby for a few years:

DSC02689_zps10b7f020.jpg


DSC02741_zps32d378e9.jpg


Details: 400/2.8, ISO 400, auto shutter (about 1/2000s). Handheld!
 
Saw various beautiful pics here, inspired me to share few from my side. :)
 
From today's hike

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/ahyxf.jpg

Beautiful pics Andy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle said:
From today's hike

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/ahyxf.jpg

Beautiful pics Andy.

Ah, that's nice. The transition between open space and forest is really beautiful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Probably my favorite outdoor picture of the pictures I've taken - alpenglow on Mt. Baker, the northernmost of the five volcanoes in Washington state. I took this on a climb back in the 80's. My climbing pal and I camped high up on the Coleman Glacier, at an altitude of about 8200'. I took the picture late in the day, as the sun was setting.
attachment.php?attachmentid=69165&stc=1&d=1398650559.jpg

The picture quality is pretty mediocre. This was a scan from a photo, that produced a BMP file. To reduce the size, I opened the BMP in Paint, and saved it in PNG format.
 
Attachments
  • Alpenglow.jpg
    Alpenglow.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 633
Wow Mark, that's beautiful.. Reminds me of the desert.

Thanks lisab.
 
drizzle said:
Wow Mark, that's beautiful.. Reminds me of the desert.

The alpine environment: a beautiful place where Mother Nature tries creative ways to kill you.

The dessert environment: a beautiful place where Mother Nature tries creative ways to kill you.

Ah yes, they are similar :devil:!
 
https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/video/playlist/amazing-wildlife/wolves-alter-course-rivers-162607632.html

https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/video/playlist/amazing-wildlife/cheetah-chases-impala-antelope-tourists-160000321.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
The alpine environment: a beautiful place where Mother Nature tries creative ways to kill you.

The dessert environment: a beautiful place where Mother Nature tries creative ways to kill you.

Sorry, but I disagree. In the alpine and desert environments Mother Nature is not creative, it uses just a brute force - frost, gravity, heat, no need for getting fancy.

In other places, say jungle, yes, that's where she got creative with her use of pathogens and animals.
 
For those interested, this Thursday: (from skyandtelescope.com)

"Thursday, May 15 2014

Jupiter's moon Io crosses the face of the planet from 9:41 to 11:57 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. Io's tiny but more visible shadow follows it across from 10:42 p.m. to 12:59 a.m. EDT.
- See more at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/sky-at-a-glance/weeks-sky-glance-may-9-17/#sthash.kxrlJ1Vy.dpuf
 
I loved the abundance of wildlife here thirty years ago. That why I bought my little secluded place. It was a much wetter time then and Tree Frogs were everywhere. My bedroom has wall-to-wall windows on the south side and my x-wife had wall-to-wall indoor plants; kind of like a jungle. Anyway, one night I was fast asleep and dreaming when I was awoken by a "splat" sound.

Still half asleep, I quickly set up and turned on a lamp while realizing my left eye felt very cold. As things came into focus, I found a tree frog sticking to the side of the beds headboard. I figured what happened was, the frog came from the indoor "jungle" and set on my eye to get warm and a rapid eye movement from my dream cause it to jump off. True story. Cold eye and all.

Anyway, I snapped this little guy on the side of the house catching little insects attracted by the light from the door window. He reminded me of that dream-creature.


dDk4ueD.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
larkspur said:
There is a lot of beauty in the world. Here are a few shots from my neck of the woods:
1352127927_d7d750add2.jpg


1338229627_5282b3c9be.jpg


1315291730_ad3195dc4f.jpg

These photos are edited for color parts right? Better if the photos were taken with their natural colors. The first photo looked like it has been painted on the canvas.

Hey dlgoff, is that tree frog poisonous? Just wondering.
 
M101, taken last night:

55m_raw_small_zps965db940.jpg


This one was not easy, because 'star hopping' to find it is nearly impossible: the bright star in the frame is only magnitude 9 (HD122601), and the little smudge down and to the left of that is galaxy MCG +09-23-025, magnitude 15. Most of the stars here are magnitude 12 or dimmer.

The image here is a stack, total integration time 55 minutes at ISO 2000.
 
Just out of curiosity, what kind of information would you need to estimate the distance of that galaxy?
 
I've heard that mosquitoes in Alaska are big, but... :eek:

140603110146-grande-avenue-mosquito-horizontal-gallery.jpg
 
jtbell said:
I've heard that mosquitoes in Alaska are big, but... :eek:
:smile:
 
jtbell said:
I've heard that mosquitoes in Alaska are big, but... :eek:

140603110146-grande-avenue-mosquito-horizontal-gallery.jpg

LoL

I think that sign was just kidding. Unless we've heard and seen giant mosquitoes flying around in Alaska all over the news by now.