1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeros of complex function in SciPy

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    I've been told that the method scipy.optimize.newton() will solve complex functions so long as the first derivative is provided. I can't make it work. The documentation for newton() mentions nothing of complex functions. Could someone show me how one would find the roots of a function like f(z) = 1 + z^2 in SciPy? I need to solve something much more complex, but a simple example will help me immensely.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please read the forum rules. Double posts are not allowed.

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    I realized that I posted in the wrong forum, but can't delete the old thread. I reported it.

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know anything about Python, but if you want to find a complex root by Newton's method, make sure the imaginary part of your initial guess is non-zero. Otherwise, the iterations will probably never leave the real line, and therefore won't converge to a complex root.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted