1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeta Function -1 1/2 and prime numbers

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    I talked with an old friend of mine. We discussed prime numbers and Ulams Spiral, and the mathematical patterns that surround us all. He brought up something called the Zeta-Function and something about -1 1/2 and how this all related to prime numbers. I did a google search and found some interesting results but didn't quite find enough on the purpose of -1 1/2, guess I should have dug a little deeper. Anyways could someone please explain the Zeta Function and why it is important and purposeful, as well as it's correlation to prime numbers and -1 1/2.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know where -1 1/2 comes from. There is a famous open question in mathematics (called the Riemann hypothesis) which says that in the strip in the complex plane (0<x<1, where x is the real part of z) the only zeroes of the zeta function are along the line x = 1/2.

Start here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook