Zombies and Calculus: Light Reading for Summer After Exams

• Calculus
  • Thread starter retrostate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about finding light reading material for the summer after exams, specifically a book called "Zombies and Calculus" that caught the speaker's interest. They ask if anyone has read it or has any other suggestions for math books. Another person in the conversation mentions their enthusiasm for mixing STEM subjects with popular topics, and shares a podcast interview with the author of "Zombies and Calculus."
retrostate
I'm looking for some light reading for this summer after my exams, and came across this book called "Zombies and Calculus"... looks brilliant. Just want to know if anyone has read it, or any other good math books out there for light reading.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0691161909/?tag=pfamazon01-20

k10315.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely, I do a bit of tutoring on the side every now and again, and i find even being really enthusiastic and positive about the subject, especially on a one to one basis can really help. I listened to a brilliant podcast with the author of this book, here is the link.

http://newbooksinmath.com

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What is "Zombies and Calculus: Light Reading for Summer After Exams"?

"Zombies and Calculus: Light Reading for Summer After Exams" is a book written by Colin Adams, a mathematician and professor at Williams College. It explores the concept of zombies through the lens of calculus, making it an entertaining and educational read for students.

How does calculus relate to zombies?

Calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. Zombies, being creatures that are constantly decaying and in need of sustenance, can be studied using the principles of calculus. This book uses zombies as a fun and engaging way to introduce readers to calculus concepts.

Who is the target audience for "Zombies and Calculus: Light Reading for Summer After Exams"?

This book is primarily geared towards students who have completed a calculus course, but it can also be enjoyed by anyone with a basic understanding of calculus. It is a great read for high school and college students, as well as anyone interested in zombies or mathematics.

Is "Zombies and Calculus: Light Reading for Summer After Exams" meant to be a serious book?

While this book does cover mathematical concepts in a fun and engaging way, it is not meant to be a serious textbook. It is a lighthearted and humorous read that uses zombies as a way to explore calculus. However, readers will still gain a deeper understanding of calculus through the examples and explanations provided in the book.

Are there any other books like "Zombies and Calculus: Light Reading for Summer After Exams"?

There are a few other books that use zombies as a way to teach mathematical concepts, but "Zombies and Calculus" is unique in its approach and style. Other books in this genre include "The Calculus of Zombies" by Ian Stewart and "Zombies and Calculus II: The Undead Calculus" by Colin Adams. However, "Zombies and Calculus" is considered the original and most popular book in this genre.