View Single Post
M. Bachmeier
Apr4-11, 04:23 PM
P: 184
Quote Quote by liamdavis View Post
There is much that I do not know specifically about this incident or about TEPCO’s policies and procedures for these events.

I am not interested in assigning blame. Japan has authorities to handle that. A great deal of reconstruction, establishing timelines, evaluating communications, etc will need to be done. I want to leave that to them.

Some of this thread may touch on forensic engineering, communications, policy, procedure, available resources, access to affected plants, authority of persons to act, autonomy of actions in the absence of communication, corporate culture, regulatory culture, the psychology of disasters and reactive vs. proactive crisis management, to name a few.

What I am interested in are the practical aspects of what an effective initial response to this specific multi-disaster. What would it look like? What would happen? In what order would things happen? Who would do it? What would they need? Where would they get it? How would they know what was working?

Given that about 8 hours are available to restore cooling to a reactor that was just removed from active service after the total loss of power http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/...5j/6124656.pdf a predetermined course of action must be in place. What is it?
There are tons of answers to your questions at: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=480200

but there is a lot of reading, much of which is beyond me.

I'll try to give you a start. Psychological.

An event, that was planned for in most respects, occurred, 9.0 mag earthquake. What wasn't planned for was the tsunami that followed. Yes you would say that some predicted this possible event, but humans are ruled, to some extent, by the "Just World Phenomenon".

Would you willingly cross a busy street knowing that there's a real chance of getting run over. If you allowed yourself to embrace the random danger of existence you would be immobilized by fear. So we simple humans put aside our fear and cross the street every day, because failure to do so would ensure negative consequences.

It's very hard for anyone planning a worst case scenario to be objective to the (N)th degree. A hundred years from now historians may look back at our time and say, "How could have they been so careless?" They would be wrong, just as some historians are wrong in their assessment of our past. We, all of us, take our best path toward a single goal. Survival...

That's my Psychological perspective...