Register to reply

The Food Thread

by arunbg
Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
Share this thread:
arunbg
Jun25-06, 01:54 PM
P: 600
Calling all food lovers and connoisseurs of PF .
A thread to post anything and everything about food.
Share your favourite recipes, your kind of cuisine and favourite dishes, dining experiences, or even your kitchen antics and fiascos.

Let the food fest begin and remember, gluttony is not a sin.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Evo
Jun25-06, 02:03 PM
Mentor
P: 26,546
Oooh, I'll be back in a bit. A friend and I were trying to find new recipes for lentils and we found some rather unusual fare, such as chocolate lentil cake.

We were also trying to find a modern version of "horsebread" that didn't require two bushels of flour.
arunbg
Jun25-06, 02:14 PM
P: 600
Chocolate lentil cake !!! That's my favourite ( drools over keyboard ) !

larkspur
Jun25-06, 02:21 PM
P: 791
The Food Thread

2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 or more large garlic cloves
3/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese (shredded or grated)
1/2 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Put the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and blend while drizzling in the olive oil. Process until smooth. Pour into a jar and top with olive oil.

Prepare your favorite pasta(angel hair works great) combine it with about a tablespoon of pesto per serving.

Cover the unused pesto sauce with olive oil to keep it green and keep in the fridge up to a week.
Cyrus
Jun25-06, 02:28 PM
P: 4,777
By far, Lebanese food is one of the best in the world.
larkspur
Jun25-06, 02:48 PM
P: 791
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
By far, Lebanese food is one of the best in the world.
Got any recipes?
Astronuc
Jun25-06, 03:08 PM
Admin
P: 21,871
See also - Recipes & Cooking

Actually, one will find a lot of food threads in GD.
Cyrus
Jun25-06, 03:18 PM
Quote Quote by larkspur
Got any recipes?
No, but if you drive down to Maryland I will take you to a good resturant in Bathesda .
turbo
Jun25-06, 04:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Do you have a grill and a clamshell grilling basket with a fine wire mesh? If you do, here is today's recipe. Mix up a concoction of olive oil, dry red wine, ketchup, (insert favorite spicy salad dressing here - mine is Marie's Roasted Red Pepper Vinagarette), maybe some prepared mustard, the juice of one fresh lemon, molasses, some really hot habanero sauce, a crushed clove of garlic (or two), some oregano, freshly-ground black pepper, and salt. Mix them in approximately that order of decreasing amounts, tasting from time to time. That is your marinade. Thoroughly de-vein and de-shell some previously-frozen jumbo shrimp and marinate them in this for a few hours (or overnight), then cook them on your grill on high heat, painting them generously with the left-over marinade before and after turning. The molasses helps keep the seasonings stuck to the shrimp, while carmelizing nicely during cooking. When the thinner parts of the shrimp look crispy, open that grill basket and serve. Don't ask for specific quantities in the recipe. I don't measure, and you'll have to try this a few times to see what "by feel" proportions work for you. I can tell you that these grilled habanero shrimp never last more than a few minutes after they are served, so something must be going right. I grew up in a family of great cooks, so when you haul out a dish at a family gathering and it disappears in minutes with a crowd elbowing in for dibs, that is high praise. This one will make you popular at parties.
George Jones
Jun25-06, 04:30 PM
Mentor
P: 6,246
Quote Quote by Evo
A friend and I were trying to find new recipes for lentils
Dahl? (extra char)
Rach3
Jun25-06, 04:48 PM
P: 318
Mixed chopped fruit with yogurt, my favorite breakfast. Maybe:

chopped fresh fruit -
apples,
cantaloupe,
grapes,
orange slices,

topped with vanilla yogurt, in moderation as not to overwhelm the fruit. I discovered this combination at a cafe in Key West, off of Duval street, forgot the name.
Rach3
Jun25-06, 04:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttanesca

I got lucky once and this came out incredibly good, very strong flavors of anchovies and black olives (no capers for me), concentrated by reducing over a full hour at low heat. Mine was with spaghetti though, not rigatoni as pictured in wikipedia's article. I supplemented the olive oil with the olive oil the anchovies were packed in, that may have affected things positively, I'm not certain. I've also tried a version at an upscale restaurant, too soft and muted for my taste though, my version was better.
Cyrus
Jun25-06, 05:05 PM
Quote Quote by Rach3
Mixed chopped fruit with yogurt, my favorite breakfast. Maybe:

chopped fresh fruit -
apples,
cantaloupe,
grapes,
orange slices,

topped with vanilla yogurt, in moderation as not to overwhelm the fruit. I discovered this combination at a cafe in Key West, off of Duval street, forgot the name.

Best breakfast, steak with runny eggs on top, oatmeal and 5-6 scrambled eggs. Protein +10.
Rach3
Jun25-06, 05:09 PM
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
Best breakfast, steak with runny eggs on top, oatmeal and 5-6 scrambled eggs. Protein +10.
Sounds lethal.
Cyrus
Jun25-06, 05:29 PM
Lethal?

Nope. It has all that your body needs for strength!
JamesU
Jun25-06, 06:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 745
I ate at taco bell for lunch...it was nasty...

that's al I have to say about food
Pengwuino
Jun25-06, 06:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
I just smoked some oil... disaster report soon to come
Evo
Jun25-06, 06:46 PM
Mentor
P: 26,546
Quote Quote by George Jones
Dahl? (extra char)
Dahl (dal) is great, but I wanted to get creative. I thought "lentil lasagna". He thought I was nuts. I found a lot of recipes online for it, but they all mostly turned out to be boring vegetable lasagna with lentils included.

This one sounded good though. I would use ricotta instead of cottage cheese. It calls for a tomato sauce, which I don't think sounds good with lentils. I'm trying to think of what might work.

Lentil Lasagna

Ingredients
9 lasagna noodles
1 pkg. frozen spinach
1 lb. cottage cheese
1/2 c. dry lentils
1 c. grated cheddar
1 c. grated mozzarella
1/2 c. Parmesan
large jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Prego or Classico)

Instructions
Cook lentils in boiling water for about 20 minutes, drain.
Thaw spinach in microwave, press out liquid. Cook noodles al dente.
Make layers in oblong baking pan as follows: sauce, noodles, sauce,
cottage cheese, lentils, spinach, cheddar & mozzarella, more sauce.
Cover top layer of noodles with sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes. Add 1/2 lb. sliced sauteed mushrooms
to sauce if desired. For variation use black beans instead of lentils.

Then I thought lentils and eggplant would be yummy together in a lentil version of Moussaka. Substitute the lentils for the meat. Or even just add lentils to the meat.

There is a Lentil cook-off August 19th!!! Who wants to enter with me?

http://www.lentilfest.com/DrawEvents.aspx?EventID=8

I'm still trying to figure out some creative (but not disgusting) lentil recipes.

Register to reply