Complex Analysis

by SeReNiTy
Tags: analysis, complex
SeReNiTy
Mar1-07, 12:44 AM
P: 171
Hello guys,

Could someone reccomend me a complex analysis textbook? My class is currently using Stewart but i heard this is not such a good text...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
leon1127
Mar1-07, 12:53 AM
P: 487
introduction
Brown and Churchill

advance
Remmert
HungryChemist
Mar1-07, 01:39 AM
P: 144
we used Churchill and I loved it. If you're thinking of owning one, try its international edition, it's well binded(although paper back) and light. I like Churchill because he is clear, and well cut in showing what is definition and what is theorem and what is proof through out the book. It has no answers to its exercise. So that's the downfall.

arunma
Mar1-07, 12:13 PM
P: 908

Complex Analysis

I also used Brown and Churchill when I took complex analysis. I'll gladly add my recommendation to that of the others here.
interested_learner
Mar1-07, 07:52 PM
P: 215
Another good book for getting a intuitive feeling is "Visual Complex Analysis" by Needham. It is not a standlone textbook though....
K.J.Healey
Mar1-07, 11:49 PM
P: 640
I took the class as independent study my senior year and I used "Complex Variables with Applications" 2nd Ed by A. David Wunsch. Basically all the prof did was tell me to do all the problems in the back of each chapter every few days. (well that and learn the chapter). Luckily I learned it rather quickly and thought the book was well laid out. Reminded me of reading my calculus book. From amazon.com it looks like it gets good reviews.
marcusl
Mar2-07, 11:11 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Another vote for Churchill.
SeReNiTy
Mar4-07, 06:00 AM
P: 171
What is the level of Churchill? I am looking for a text that can keep me interested.
marcusl
Mar4-07, 01:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Looking online at the table of contents for Stewart, I'd say Churchill is pitched at the same level. It has served many generations of students through 4 decades; check it out of your U library if you have doubts.
hrc969
Mar5-07, 08:27 PM
P: 68
Greene and Krantz's Complex Analysis is a very interesting book. It's not your conventional book. But as you are looking for something interesting, this might be a good pick for you. (The level is beginning grad student or advanced undergrad).

PS. some of the exercises are trivial, but don't worry about those if you don't want to, there are plenty of interesting ones.

Register to reply