by Arcon
Tags: deviation, geodesic
Share this thread:
Arcon
Jan24-04, 04:05 AM
P: n/a
Can someone take a look at

http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/...ments/Ch21.pdf

and tell me how they go from Eq. (7) to Eq. (8)? I've tried this and keep getting additional terms.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
lethe
Jan24-04, 11:19 AM
P: 657
Originally posted by Arcon
Can someone take a look at

http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/...ments/Ch21.pdf

and tell me how they go from Eq. (7) to Eq. (8)? I've tried this and keep getting additional terms.
i took a look at it, and did the calculation. i thought it was pretty straightforward. where did you get stuck? what extra terms do you have?

remember that x is a geodesic. so there is a geodesic equation in x, and it therefore vanishes. and remember that χ is very small; drop any term with more than one χ in it.
Arcon
Jan24-04, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by lethe
i took a look at it, and did the calculation. i thought it was pretty straightforward. where did you get stuck? what extra terms do you have?

remember that x is a geodesic. so there is a geodesic equation in x, and it therefore vanishes. and remember that χ is very small; drop any term with more than one χ in it.
I fingered it out

One has to drop not only the term &chi*&chi but the term which is the product of &chi and a derivative of &chi. That was what I was missing.

Arcon
Jan24-04, 11:59 AM
Geodesic Deviation

Thank you

I believe that I've fingered it out

One has to drop not only the term χ*χ but the term which is the product of χ and a derivative of χ. That was what I was missing.

Again - thanks for the response

Arcon
Arcon
Jan25-04, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by lethe

Seems that this small detail (drop term with χdχdT) has always tripped me up in that derivation. I guess I was just blind to it. But now that I know it then the derivation is simple.

Just to make sure I understood the approximation can you check this for me?

http://www.geocities.com/physics_wor..._deviation.htm

I commented on the terms to drop right after Eq. (14) and right after Eq. (15)

Thanks

I don't know how I missed this before but the equation of geodesic deviation clearly shows that tidal forces are velocity dependant!

Arcon

Register to reply