Tags: invented, liquid, paper
Share this thread:
chemisttree
Nov15-07, 03:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Bette Nesmith Graham is credited with the invention but she had help. Anyone know who and why she needed the help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Evo
Nov15-07, 03:37 PM
Mentor
P: 26,659
Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
Bette Nesmith Graham is credited with the invention but she had help. Anyone know who and why she needed the help?
I'm not sure what you are asking. She was a secretary and decided to find a better way to correct typing errors.

What do you mean by help? I've always read that she came up with it alone in her kitchen.

http://inventors.about.com/od/lstart...quid_paper.htm

A more detailed write-up.

http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/nesmith.html
jim mcnamara
Nov15-07, 03:53 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,386
I'd go with what Evo says, except that the old liquid paper had solvents that folks did not just happen upon at the corner store. Evo, did she have courses in Chemistry?

See this page for a hint about what I mean:

http://www.liquidpaper.com/main.taf?p=5&q=3
I think the solvent was an ether - definitely not diethyl ether, but I'm not sure. Obviously it was toxic/explosive or both toxic && explosive. It doesn't pass OSHA muster nowadays. But then, when I was a kid, every paint (with driers) known to man, had lead based driers. Boy, those paint chips had real flavor back then. The modern ones are no good they need, um, they need salt or something. um.

chemisttree
Nov15-07, 03:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Who really invented Liquid Paper?

Both of you are close. Her original product dissolved the ink from the paper and caused an off white spot. She got help from a fabulous chemist to perfect her idea. Any idea who?
Evo
Nov15-07, 04:00 PM
Mentor
Both of you are close. Her original product dissolved the ink from the paper and caused an off white spot. She got help from a fabulous chemist to perfect her idea. Any idea who?
Are you talking later on when she patented the formula? The only reference I've seen to a chemist after her product started getting popular is to an un-named highschool chemistry teacher.

White out would smear the ink, and it still does so today if you rub the whiteout back and forth.
chemisttree
Nov15-07, 04:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Yes, someone helped perfect her idea which made it a salable product.
jim mcnamara
Nov15-07, 04:07 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,386
Okay. Upon further googling, her son Michael Nesmith, had a Chemistry teacher in high school. He collobarated with her on LP. caveat: This is wickedpedia speaking. All the other sites are essentially devoid of information or disinformation about LQ.

I see no mention of a putatively famous chemist though. Any futher googlage will require your fingers, not mine.
chemisttree
Nov15-07, 04:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by jim mcnamara View Post
I'd go with what Evo says, except that the old liquid paper had solvents that folks did not just happen upon at the corner store. Evo, did she have courses in Chemistry?

See this page for a hint about what I mean:

http://www.liquidpaper.com/main.taf?p=5&q=3
I think the solvent was an ether - definitely not diethyl ether, but I'm not sure. Obviously it was toxic/explosive or both toxic && explosive. It doesn't pass OSHA muster nowadays.
The original (not the one Nesmith Graham developed independently) had chlorinated solvents which are toxic. The new formula doesn't have them.
Evo
Nov15-07, 04:13 PM
Mentor
The original (not the one Nesmith Graham developed independently) had chlorinated solvents which are toxic. The new formula doesn't have them.
So you are claiming someone else also invented a type of "white-out", but not the famous one which became liquid paper that Graham invented by herself? That's a completely different question.

What was the name of this other independantly invented product? Did it ever sell?
chemisttree
Nov15-07, 04:17 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
So you are claiming someone else also invented a type of "white-out", but not the famous one which became liquid paper that Graham invented by herself? That's a completely different question.

What was the name of this other independantly invented product? Did it ever sell?
No, I'm saying that the Wiki article is wrong (gasp). It wasn't her son's high school chemistry teacher.
Evo
Nov15-07, 04:24 PM
Mentor
No, I'm saying that the Wiki article is wrong (gasp). It wasn't her son's high school chemistry teacher.
This is the first time you've mentioned wikipedia. I haven't read the wiki article. The only reference I've seen to a high school teacher is this on the Liquid paper site. It doesn't mention it being her son's teacher.

Ever resourceful, Graham recruited an office supplier, a school chemistry teacher and a friend from a paint company to help her perfect her product which was becoming increasingly popular. Her son Michael and his friends helped fill bottles of Mistake Out with the whiteout in the garage. Graham had a good product, and renamed it Liquid Paper in 1958, but it was certainly no overnight success. She continued to work in the bank, managing the business after hours, making batches in her kitchen, packing and distributing from the garage.
Gokul43201
Nov15-07, 04:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
jim mentioned the wiki.

If I had one guess, I'd go with Cotton.

Incidentally, Michael Nesmith is the Michael Nesmith of The Monkees!!
Evo
Nov15-07, 04:32 PM
Mentor
Gokul invented White-Out! (He's much older than he leads us to believe).
chemisttree
Nov15-07, 04:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
The inventor was indeed a Chemistry teacher (at a local university) but his day job was as a professional chemist.

Graham continued experimenting with the makeup of the substance until she achieved the perfect combination of paint and several other chemicals. The refined product was renamed “Liquid Paper” in 1958 and, amid soaring demand, Graham applied for a patent and a trademark that same year.
http://www.women-inventors.com/Bette-Nesmith-Graham.asp
A minor correction here. Graham didn't continue to experiment with the makeup of the substance until she achieved the perfect combination of paint and several other chemicals but, rather, caused it to be done by another. And then patented the improvement and the rest is history.
Evo
Nov15-07, 04:50 PM
Mentor
The inventor was indeed a Chemistry teacher (at a local university) but his day job was as a professional chemist.
So, you're saying Graham did not invent White-Out/Liquid paper? Please post a link to where you are getting this information. I've only seen Graham credited with inventing the product ALONE. Subsequent improvements had input from others, so what?

You first said she had help, then you said some chemistry teacher invented an alternative to it, now you're saying some chemistry teacher invented it. I can find nothing to back up either of your claims that she did not invent it.
Gokul43201
Nov15-07, 04:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Evo, I think Chemistree is asking us a trivia question (probably from personal experience).

Cotton is wrong. Who is it?
Evo
Nov15-07, 04:55 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
Evo, I think Chemistree is asking us a trivia question (probably from personal experience).

Cotton is wrong. Who is it?
Read my last post. He keeps changing who invents what. He's not making any sense.

Chemistree if you are saying that it's not true that Graham invented the original product, then you need to back that up.

If you mean to ask if anyone knows the name of the chemist that later helped her, then ask that.
chemisttree
Nov15-07, 05:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
So, you're saying Graham did not invent White-Out/Liquid paper?
I never said that. I said that she had help.
Please post a link to where you are getting this information. I've only seen Graham credited with inventing the product ALONE.
What happened to the chemistry teacher that you mentioned in post #5 and #11?

Subsequent improvements had input from others, so what?
So, by law she must include the chemist as a co-inventor.
You first said she had help, then you said some chemistry teacher invented an alternative to it, now you're saying some chemistry teacher invented it. I can find nothing to back up either of your claims that she did not invent it.
I'm saying that a professional chemist developed the formula that she ultimately sold to Gillette. And yes, that professional chemist also taught night courses at a local university.

Google found it for me.

Register to reply