Condensed matter pop science book

by m00npirate
Tags: book, condensed, matter, science
m00npirate
Nov22-07, 10:23 AM
P: 50
I've read a couple (nontehnical) books on cosmology and particle physics, but there seems to be a dearth of these on condensed matter. Anyone know of one out there? Or perhaps a semi-technical book that I could understand most of with 1 year of calc. Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Daverz
Nov22-07, 12:55 PM
P: 884
How about The Nature of Solids.
ozymandias
Nov22-07, 01:11 PM
P: 83
Try "Why things are the way they are", by Chandrasekar (hope I've spelled his name right :) ) - yep, the astrophysics guy.

--------
Assaf
Physically Incorrect

las3rjock
Nov22-07, 02:24 PM
P: 235

Condensed matter pop science book

For a semi-technical book, I recommend The Solid State by Rosenberg. In response to the previous reply, the correct spelling is "Chandrasekhar", and I'm pretty sure it's not the astrophysicist ("Chandrasekhar" is a relatively common Indian last name). Finally, for a non-technical book, The New Science of Strong Materials by Gordon and Ball looks pretty good and is readily available.
ozymandias
Nov22-07, 02:29 PM
P: 83
I stand corrected :).

--------
Assaf
Physically Incorrect
m00npirate
Nov22-07, 07:45 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions =]
m00npirate
Nov24-07, 02:03 PM
Quote Quote by las3rjock View Post
For a semi-technical book, I recommend The Solid State by Rosenberg. In response to the previous reply, the correct spelling is "Chandrasekhar", and I'm pretty sure it's not the astrophysicist ("Chandrasekhar" is a relatively common Indian last name). Finally, for a non-technical book, The New Science of Strong Materials by Gordon and Ball looks pretty good and is readily available.
Which one of these did you mean? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...enberg&x=0&y=0
las3rjock
Nov24-07, 03:17 PM
P: 235
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0198518706
Chris Hillman
Nov24-07, 04:44 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,341
Quote Quote by ozymandias View Post
Try "Why things are the way they are", by Chandrasekar (hope I've spelled his name right :) ) - yep, the astrophysics guy.
The author of the book you cited is Bellur Sivaramiah Chandrasekhar (b. 1928); the Nobel Laureate astrophysicist was Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (1910-1995).

Register to reply