Condensed matter pop science book

by m00npirate
Tags: book, condensed, matter, science
m00npirate
Nov22-07, 10:23 AM
P: 50
I've read a couple (nontehnical) books on cosmology and particle physics, but there seems to be a dearth of these on condensed matter. Anyone know of one out there? Or perhaps a semi-technical book that I could understand most of with 1 year of calc. Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Daverz
Nov22-07, 12:55 PM
P: 886
How about The Nature of Solids.
ozymandias
Nov22-07, 01:11 PM
P: 83
Try "Why things are the way they are", by Chandrasekar (hope I've spelled his name right :) ) - yep, the astrophysics guy.

--------
Assaf
Physically Incorrect

las3rjock
Nov22-07, 02:24 PM
P: 235

Condensed matter pop science book

For a semi-technical book, I recommend The Solid State by Rosenberg. In response to the previous reply, the correct spelling is "Chandrasekhar", and I'm pretty sure it's not the astrophysicist ("Chandrasekhar" is a relatively common Indian last name). Finally, for a non-technical book, The New Science of Strong Materials by Gordon and Ball looks pretty good and is readily available.
ozymandias
Nov22-07, 02:29 PM
P: 83
I stand corrected :).

--------
Assaf
Physically Incorrect
m00npirate
Nov22-07, 07:45 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions =]
m00npirate
Nov24-07, 02:03 PM
Quote Quote by las3rjock View Post
For a semi-technical book, I recommend The Solid State by Rosenberg. In response to the previous reply, the correct spelling is "Chandrasekhar", and I'm pretty sure it's not the astrophysicist ("Chandrasekhar" is a relatively common Indian last name). Finally, for a non-technical book, The New Science of Strong Materials by Gordon and Ball looks pretty good and is readily available.
Which one of these did you mean? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...enberg&x=0&y=0
las3rjock
Nov24-07, 03:17 PM
P: 235
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0198518706
Chris Hillman
Nov24-07, 04:44 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,341
Quote Quote by ozymandias View Post
Try "Why things are the way they are", by Chandrasekar (hope I've spelled his name right :) ) - yep, the astrophysics guy.
The author of the book you cited is Bellur Sivaramiah Chandrasekhar (b. 1928); the Nobel Laureate astrophysicist was Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (1910-1995).

Register to reply