Books: Weyl semimetals, Topological Insulators

In summary, the conversation includes a request for good sources to learn about Weyl semimetals, topological insulators, the Integer Quantum Hall effect, and theoretical condensed matter physics. The speaker also suggests creating separate threads for each topic and thanks the mentors for their assistance.
Joker93
Hello!
What are some good sources(preferably textbooks) to learn about Weyl semimetals?
I also want some sources to learn about topological insulators and anything containing the Integer Quantum Hall effect would be great.
As an aside, if you have any good book on theoretical condensed matter physics I would also appreciate it!
Thanks in advance.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you not asking books on some separate topics together? I think it will be better if you differentiate each topic into a separate thread. For example, topology and Weyl semimetalls can make two different threads.

Wrichik Basu said:
Are you not asking books on some separate topics together? I think it will be better if you differentiate each topic into a separate thread. For example, topology and Weyl semimetalls can make two different threads.
Sure. Will do so shortly. Thanks!

Wrichik Basu said:
topology

On which topic in topology ? Differential/Set-point/Algebraic.

Buffu said:
On which topic in topology ?
Seriously I have no idea on topology (if that question was directed towards me o_O). I just asked OP to separate out the topics.

Wrichik Basu said:
I have separated the questions!
If you have any suggestion on any of them, feel welcome to share it.
Thank you!

Joker93 said:
I have separated the questions!

Great :smile:

I'll now call upon the mentors to lock this thread as each question has been separated.

Likes Joker93

1. What are Weyl semimetals and topological insulators?

Weyl semimetals and topological insulators are two types of materials that are characterized by their unique electronic band structures. Weyl semimetals have gapless band structures with pairs of Weyl points, while topological insulators have insulating bulk states and conducting surface states.

2. How are Weyl semimetals and topological insulators different from traditional materials?

Unlike traditional materials, Weyl semimetals and topological insulators have electronic band structures that cannot be described by the classical band theory. They also exhibit unique electronic and transport properties, such as the presence of surface states and protected edge states.

3. What are the potential applications of Weyl semimetals and topological insulators?

Due to their unique properties, Weyl semimetals and topological insulators have potential applications in areas such as spintronics, quantum computing, and energy harvesting. They could also be used in developing new types of transistors and sensors.

4. How are Weyl semimetals and topological insulators studied and characterized?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) to study the electronic band structures and surface states of Weyl semimetals and topological insulators. Other methods, such as transport measurements, can also be used to characterize their unique properties.

5. Are there any current challenges or limitations in the research of Weyl semimetals and topological insulators?

One of the main challenges in studying Weyl semimetals and topological insulators is the difficulty in synthesizing and identifying these materials. Additionally, there is still much to be understood about their fundamental properties and potential applications, which requires further research and experimentation.